1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find minimum value of the expression

1. May 13, 2014 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let n be a positive integer. Determine the smallest possible value of $$|p(1)|^2+|p(2)|^2 + .........+ |p(n+3)|^2 $$ over all a monic polynomials p with degree n.

3. The attempt at a solution

Let the polynomial be [itex]x^n+c_{n-1} x^{n-1} +.........+ c_1x+c_0 [/itex]

p(1) = [itex]c_0+c_1+c_2+........+1 [/itex]

Similarly I can write p(2) and so on, square them and add them together to get a messy expression. But after this, I don't see how to find its minimum value. The final expression is itself difficult to handle. I'm sure I'm missing an easier way to this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You don't need the full expressions to find derivatives with respect to the coefficients.

4. May 13, 2014 #3

utkarshakash

Gold Member

Derivative wrt to which coefficient? There are so many.

5. May 13, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yo have n variables ##c_0,c_1, \ldots, c_{n-1}## and a function
    [tex] f(c_0,c_2, \ldots, c_{n-1}) = \sum_{k=1}^{n+3} [k^n + c_{n-1} k^{n-1} + \cdots + c_1 k + c_0]^2 [/tex]
    You minimize ##f## by setting all its partial derivatives to zero; that is, by setting up and solving the equations
    [tex] \frac{\partial f}{\partial c_i} = 0, \: i = 0, 1, 2, \ldots, n-1[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted