FInd non-zero elements are primitive in a field

In summary, the two parts of the homework are to find a field and 16 elements that are primitive in it, but the second part is not complete.
HaLAA

Homework Statement

Construct $\mathbb{F}_{16}$ as a quotient of $\mathbb{Z}_2[X]$. How many non-zero elements are primitive in this field? Calculate $|GL2_(\mathbb{F}_16)|$.

Homework Equations

Primitive Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first question, I don't know how to construct $\mathbb{F}_{16}$ as a quotient of $\mathbb{Z}_2[X]$. My guess is $\mathbb{Z}_2[X]/p(x)$ where $p(x)$ is not in $\mathbb{Z}_2[X]$.

And the second part which should be 16^4-16^3

Physics news on Phys.org
Right, you will have to construct ##\mathbb{F}_{16}## as ##\mathbb{Z}_2[X]/(p(x))## for some polynomial. Now there are two essential facts:

1) The quotient will have to be a field
2) The quotient will have to have 16 elements.

Which conditions on ##p(x)## will guarantee this?

HaLAA said:

Homework Statement

My guess is $\mathbb{Z}_2[X]/p(x)$ where $p(x)$ is not in $\mathbb{Z}_2[X]$.

If ##p(x)## is not in ##\mathbb{Z}_2[X]##, then the quotient makes no sense. So that is not correct.

micromass said:
Right, you will have to construct ##\mathbb{F}_{16}## as ##\mathbb{Z}_2[X]/(p(x))## for some polynomial. Now there are two essential facts:

1) The quotient will have to be a field
2) The quotient will have to have 16 elements.

Which conditions on ##p(x)## will guarantee this?
P (x) would be a maximal ideal and irreducible, I think x^3-x-1

HaLAA said:
P (x) would be a maximal ideal and irreducible, I think x^3-x-1

##p(x)## is just a polynomial, and a polynomial being a maximal ideal makes no sense. You are correct that ##p(x)## will have to be irreducible. Indeed, if ##p(x)## is irreducible, then

[tex]\mathbb{Z}_2[X]/(p(x))[/tex]

will be a field, which is what you want. But you also want the field to have ##16## elements, under what conditions on ##p(x)## will that happen?

x^3-x-1

That is not correct.

micromass said:
##p(x)## is just a polynomial, and a polynomial being a maximal ideal makes no sense. You are correct that ##p(x)## will have to be irreducible. Indeed, if ##p(x)## is irreducible, then

will be a field, which is what you want. But you also want the field to have ##16## elements, under what conditions on ##p(x)## will that happen?
That is not correct.
x^2-2,
micromass said:

That is not correct.
micromass said:

That is not correct.

If I didn't make mistakes, p (x)=x^2 - 3

Can you stop guessing and actually think about it? In either case, if you put up a proposal, at least try to motivate it and say why it is true.

micromass said:
Can you stop guessing and actually think about it? In either case, if you put up a proposal, at least try to motivate it and say why it is true.
P (x)=x^4+1, we have p (0) mod 2 =1 and p (1)=2 which show p (x) is irreducible in Z_2, hence F_16 isomorphic with Z_2 [x]/p (x)

HaLAA said:
P (x)=x^4+1, we have p (0) mod 2 =1 and p (1)=2 which show p (x) is irreducible in Z_2, hence F_16 isomorphic with Z_2 [x]/p (x)

First of all, ##p(1) = 0## since ##2=0## in ##\mathbb{Z}_2##.
Second of all, saying that the polynomials ##p(x)## has no roots in ##\mathbb{Z}_2## is not at all the same as saying that it is irreducible.
Third of all, even if ##p(x)## were irreducible, that would only show that ##\mathbb{Z}_2[X]/(p(X))## is a field, you still need to find an argument for why it has ##16## elements.
Fourth of all, ##\mathbb{Z}_2[X]/p(X)## makes no sense. You cannot quotient out an element of ##\mathbb{Z}_2[X]##, you can only quotient out an ideal.

Sorry, but I was having difficulty reading the OP, so here it is with readable Latex:
HaLAA said:

Homework Statement

Construct ##\ \mathbb{F}_{16}\ ## as a quotient of ##\ \mathbb{Z}_2[X]\ .\ ## How many non-zero elements are primitive in this field? Calculate ##\ |GL2_{({{\mathbb{F}}_{16}})}|\ ## .

Homework Equations

Primitive Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first question, I don't know how to construct ##\ \mathbb{F}_{16}\ ## as a quotient of ##\ \mathbb{Z}_2[X]\ ##. My guess is ##\ \mathbb{Z}_2[X]/p(x)\ ## where ##\ p(x)\ ## is not in ##\ \mathbb{Z}_2[X]\ ##.

And the second part which should be ##\ 16^4-16^3\ ##

... and there it is.

Last edited:

1. What does it mean for an element to be primitive in a field?

In a field, a non-zero element is considered primitive if it generates the entire field when multiplied by itself multiple times. This means that all other elements in the field can be obtained by multiplying the primitive element with itself a certain number of times.

2. How can you determine if a non-zero element is primitive in a field?

To determine if a non-zero element is primitive in a field, you can raise the element to different powers and check if all other elements in the field are generated. If the element fails to generate all other elements, it is not primitive. Additionally, the order of the element (i.e. the smallest power at which it generates the identity element) should be equal to the order of the field.

3. What is the significance of primitive elements in a field?

Primitive elements play an important role in the structure of a field. They are used to define the degree of a field extension, which is essential for understanding the properties and behavior of field extensions. Primitive elements also have applications in coding theory and cryptography.

4. Can a non-zero element be primitive in more than one field?

No, a non-zero element can only be primitive in one field. This is because the order of the element must equal the order of the field, and each field has a unique order. Therefore, an element cannot generate all elements in two different fields with different orders.

5. Is every non-zero element primitive in a finite field?

No, not every non-zero element is primitive in a finite field. In fact, for a finite field with q elements, there are only q-1 primitive elements. This means that the majority of non-zero elements in a finite field are not primitive.