Find Out if Diffraction Grating Can Resolve Wavelengths 5800 & 5802 Angstroms

In summary: The nth order diffraction maximum for \lambda_1 = 5 \times 10^{-5}cm is superimposed on the (n + 1)th order of \lambda_2 = 4 \times 10^{-5}cm.
Reshma
A beam of light is incident normally on a diffraction grating of width 2cm. It is found that at 30 degrees, the nth order diffraction maximum for [itex]\lambda_1 = 5 \times 10^{-5}[/itex]cm is superimposed on the (n + 1)th order of [itex]\lambda_2 = 4 \times 10^{-5}[/itex]cm.

1]How many lines per cm does the grating have?
2]Find out whether the first order spectrum from such a grating can be used to resolve the wavelengths [itex]\lambda_3 = 5800[/itex] Angstrom units & [itex]\lambda_4 = 5802[/itex] Angstrom units.

My work:

1]If N ruling occupy a total width W, then slit width d=W/N.

[tex]d\sin \theta = n\lambda_1 = (n+1)\lambda_2[/tex]

[tex]{2\over N}{1\over 2} = n\lambda_1 = (n+1)\lambda_2[/tex]

[itex]5000n= 4000(n+1)[/tex] (in Angstrom units).

So, I got: n = 4; which I substituted in the first equation and I got the total number of rulings N = 0.5 x 104

So, number of rulings per cm is: N/Total width = N/2 = 0.25 x 104

Is this part correct?

2]For this part, I can find the difference between the 2 wavelengths:

[itex]\Delta \lambda = 2[/itex] Angstrom units.
How do I determine whether the grating has good resolving power or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
i think for your scond one you need to find the distance between n=1 nodal lines for each of the wavelengths and compare with the power of resolution of the human eye (look it up)

You mean I have to find the angular separation between the two lines in order to determine whether the resolution is good or not?

Hey someone please help me here...I am unable to get any breakthroughs. Different sources give different resolution power for human eye and I don't think it is needed in this problem. Is there some other way of determining whether the resolution is good or not?

In this problem, the beam of light is inclined at an angle of 30 degrees to the grating.

So,

[tex]d\sin \theta = n\lambda_1[/tex]

won't be right as you will have to factor in the difference in path length because the beam of light is inclined at an angle of 30 degrees to the grating.

Related to Find Out if Diffraction Grating Can Resolve Wavelengths 5800 & 5802 Angstroms

What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is an optical component that consists of a large number of equally spaced parallel slits or rulings, which are used to separate and diffract light into its component wavelengths.

How does a diffraction grating work?

When light passes through a diffraction grating, it is diffracted and separated into its component wavelengths. This is because the spacing between the slits on the grating is similar to the wavelength of the light, causing constructive and destructive interference.

Can a diffraction grating resolve multiple wavelengths?

Yes, a diffraction grating can resolve multiple wavelengths by separating them into distinct diffraction orders. This allows for the measurement of different wavelengths of light in a single observation.

What are Angstroms and how are they related to wavelengths?

Angstroms (Å) are a unit of measurement used in science to measure very small distances, such as the wavelengths of light. One Angstrom is equal to 0.1 nanometers or 10^-10 meters.

How can you determine if a diffraction grating can resolve specific wavelengths?

You can determine if a diffraction grating can resolve specific wavelengths by using the grating equation: d sinθ = mλ, where d is the spacing between the slits, θ is the angle of diffraction, m is the diffraction order, and λ is the wavelength of light. By calculating the angle of diffraction for the desired wavelengths, you can determine if they can be resolved by the grating.