Find perpendicular line to hyperbola without calculus

In summary: C.plot-_*Calculator.dflt-&a=FSelect_**Plot-.LogPlotCalculator-&f3={sqrt%28x^2-1%29%2C%282x-1%29%2Fsqrt%283%29%2C%282-x%2F2%29sqrt%283%29}&f=Plot.plotfunction\u005f{sqrt%28x^2-1%29%2C%282x-1%29%2Fsqrt%283%29%2C%282
V0ODO0CH1LD

Homework Statement

What is the equation of the line perpendicular to ## x^2-y^2=1 ## at the point ## (2,\sqrt{3}) ##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I would automatically know what to do if I could use calculus, but apparently you can solve this without it. I would also know what to do if the conic was a circle (i.e. use the difference between the point given and the center of the circle). But how can I solve it in the case of a hyperbola?

Physics news on Phys.org
V0ODO0CH1LD said:

Homework Statement

What is the equation of the line perpendicular to ## x^2-y^2=1 ## at the point ## (2,\sqrt{3}) ##?

Homework Equations

I would automatically know what to do if I could use calculus, but apparently you can solve this without it. I would also know what to do if the conic was a circle (i.e. use the difference between the point given and the center of the circle). But how can I solve it in the case of a hyperbola?
Well, you COULD do ##x^2-y^2=1\rightarrow\text{*COUGHCOUGHCOUGH*}\rightarrow y=-\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}x+\frac{3\sqrt{3}}{2}##. Or, you could think about the relation between ellipses and hyperbolas. :wink:

V0ODO0CH1LD said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Perpendicular to a curve means perpendicular to its tangent at the given point. How many common point has got a curve with its tangent line?

ehild

ehild said:
How many common point has got a curve with its tangent line?

ehild

Maybe lots? ##y = \sin x,\, y_T = 1##.

LCKurtz said:
Maybe lots? ##y = \sin x,\, y_T = 1##.

Maybe, with a periodic function. How can I ask the question in the correct way?

ehild

ehild said:

ehild

I don't know. I'm not sure what you are trying to point out.

ehild said:

ehild
"What is the minimum number of elements in the intersection of the set of points satisfied by a function's relation and the set of points on its tangent line in any given neighborhood to the point of tangency?"

Be thinking about this function at ##x=0## as you try to rephrase your question, whatever it is:$$
f(x) = x^2\sin(\frac 1 x) \text{ for }x\ne 0,\, f(0) = 0$$

Mandelbroth said:
"What is the minimum number of elements in the intersection of the set of points satisfied by a function's relation and the set of points on its tangent line in any given neighborhood to the point of tangency?"

Uhh.
I did not want to give too much hint, but I see now that even LCKurtz did not understand me. :cry:
Without calculus, one obtains the tangent line as a secant line which has only one common point with the hyperbola in the first quadrant: the points of intersections coincide.
The equation of the straight line is y=ax+b, with √3=2a+b. Substitute for y in the equation x2-y2=1 For a single root, the discriminant is zero. The slope of the tangent line is obtained from that condition.

ehild

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
Be thinking about this function at ##x=0## as you try to rephrase your question, whatever it is:$$
f(x) = x^2\sin(\frac 1 x) \text{ for }x\ne 0,\, f(0) = 0$$

? Sorry, I do not understand you with my poor English. Has this thing related anyway to the OP?

ehild

Never mind. When you asked originally "How many common point has got a curve with its tangent line?" I thought you were asking about a general property of tangent lines that could be applied specifically to this problem. And I couldn't figure out what that general property might be.

So, no, my last example has nothing to do with the OP's question, and you can ignore it.

And there's nothing wrong with your English. :smile:

Given hyperbola [itex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}-\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1 [/itex], and tangent equation [itex]y=mx+c[/itex] the relationship [itex]c^2+b^2=a^2m^2[/itex] holds. The derivation of this is explained here. This can be combined with what we know about the relationship between [itex]m[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex] by setting
[itex]x=2[/itex] and [itex]y=\sqrt{3}[/itex] to give the required equation.

lurflurf said:
^That should be [...]
The correction is much appreciated, also the erudite flair with wolframalpha. :smile:

I believe that what is being hinted at is method of finding a tangent line to a curve that Fermat (literally preCalculus) called "ad-equation". Any (non-vertical) line through the point [itex](2, \sqrt{3})[/itex] is of the form [itex]y= m(x- 2)+ \sqrt{3}[/itex] for some m. Certainly, in order that this line be tangent to [itex]x^2- y^2= 1[/itex] at [itex](2, \sqrt{3})[/itex], they must have that point in common. Further, in order that they be tangent, x= 2 must be a double root of [itex]y= \sqrt{x^2- 1}= (m(x- 2)+ \sqrt{3})[/itex]. Squaring both sides gives the polynomial equation [itex]x^2- 1= m^2(x- 2)^2+ 2m\sqrt{3}(x- 2)+ 3[/itex]. Obviously, x= 2 satisfies that equation. What must m be so that x= 2 is a double root?

1. What is a hyperbola?

A hyperbola is a type of conic section, meaning it is formed by the intersection of a plane and a double cone. It has two branches that are symmetrically curved and open in opposite directions.

2. How do you find the perpendicular line to a hyperbola?

To find the perpendicular line to a hyperbola, you need to first find the slope of the tangent line at the point where the perpendicular line will intersect the hyperbola. Then, you can use the negative reciprocal of this slope to find the slope of the perpendicular line. Finally, you can use the point-slope form of a line to find the equation of the perpendicular line.

3. Is calculus necessary to find the perpendicular line to a hyperbola?

No, calculus is not necessary to find the perpendicular line to a hyperbola. You can use basic algebra and geometry principles, along with the properties of conic sections, to find the perpendicular line without calculus.

4. Can you find the perpendicular line to a hyperbola at any point?

Yes, you can find the perpendicular line to a hyperbola at any point on the hyperbola's curve. However, the method for finding the perpendicular line may differ depending on the type of conic section and the point's location on the curve.

5. Are there any real-world applications for finding perpendicular lines to hyperbolas?

Yes, finding perpendicular lines to hyperbolas has many real-world applications. For example, it can be used in navigation and surveying to determine the slope of a hill or the angle of a road. It can also be used in engineering and physics to calculate the forces acting on an object in motion along a curved path.