How Much Power Is Dissipated in Each Resistor in a Multiloop Circuit?

In summary, three resistors with values of 32 Ω, 45 Ω, and 60 Ω are connected in a multiloop circuit. The amount of power dissipated in each resistor can be determined using the loop law and junction law equations. The direction in which one travels around the loop does not affect the final result. It may be easier to use the outside loop instead of the bottom loop to avoid potential errors.
Cisneros778

Homework Statement

26-p-063-alt.gif

Three resistors, R1 = 32 Ω, R2 = 45 Ω, and R3 = 60 Ω, are connected in a multiloop circuit, as shown in the figure. Determine the amount of power dissipated in the three resistors.

Homework Equations

loop law
junction law

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) i1 +i2 +i3 = 0

(2) 9 - 45 i2 + 32 i1 = 0

(3) 15 +60 i3 + 9 - 45 i2 = 0

when you use the loop law, don't you have to go the same direction with every loop?
In the equation (3) it is going clockwise, and in equation (2) it is going counter-clockwise.
Is this wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't have to go the same direction with every loop. All you have to do is respect the potential drops/rises as specified by the chosen current directions (as indicated by the arrows) as you traverse the components during your "tour" around the loop.

Hi Cisneros778! :smile:
Cisneros778 said:
when you use the loop law, don't you have to go the same direction with every loop?
In the equation (3) it is going clockwise, and in equation (2) it is going counter-clockwise.
Is this wrong?

No, it doesn't matter which way round you go …

if you went the other way round one loop, everything would be multiplied by -1, wouldn't it? :wink:

btw, it might be easier to take the outside loop rather than the bottom loop (the outside loop is the sum of the other two), since it has one less term in it (and one less chance of making a mistake! :biggrin:)​

Thank you so much. I got the answers correct!

I would approach this problem by first stating the given information and the relevant equations, as shown in the homework statement. Then, I would explain the steps I took to solve the problem and provide the final answer.

In this case, the problem involves finding the power dissipated in three resistors that are connected in a multiloop circuit. The resistors have values of R1 = 32 Ω, R2 = 45 Ω, and R3 = 60 Ω. To solve this problem, we can use the loop law and junction law, which are fundamental principles in circuit analysis.

The loop law states that the sum of the voltage drops around a closed loop in a circuit must be equal to the sum of the voltage sources in that loop. In this case, we have three loops: one containing R1 and R2, one containing R2 and R3, and one containing R1, R2, and R3. By applying the loop law to each of these loops, we can obtain three equations.

Next, we can use the junction law, which states that the sum of the currents entering a junction in a circuit must be equal to the sum of the currents leaving that junction. In this problem, we have two junctions: one between R1 and R2 and one between R2 and R3. By applying the junction law to these junctions, we can obtain two more equations.

Using these equations, we can solve for the currents i1, i2, and i3. Then, we can use the formula P = i^2R to calculate the power dissipated in each resistor. Plugging in the values for the currents and resistors, we get P1 = 64 W, P2 = 81 W, and P3 = 100 W. Therefore, the amount of power dissipated in the three resistors is 64 W, 81 W, and 100 W, respectively.

In conclusion, by using the loop law and junction law, we were able to determine the power dissipated in the three resistors in the multiloop circuit. This problem showcases the importance of understanding the fundamental principles of circuit analysis in order to solve more complex problems in electrical engineering and other scientific fields.

1. How do I calculate the power dissipation in a resistor?

To calculate the power dissipation in a resistor, you can use the formula P=I^2*R, where P is the power in watts, I is the current in amperes, and R is the resistance in ohms. Alternatively, you can use the formula P=V^2/R, where V is the voltage in volts.

2. What is the maximum power rating for a resistor?

The maximum power rating for a resistor is the maximum amount of power that it can safely handle without overheating or being damaged. This rating is usually indicated on the resistor itself and is measured in watts. It is important to choose a resistor with a power rating that is equal to or greater than the expected power dissipation.

3. What factors can affect the power dissipation in a resistor?

The power dissipation in a resistor can be affected by the resistance value, the current flowing through the resistor, and the ambient temperature. Higher resistance values and current levels will result in higher power dissipation, while higher ambient temperatures can cause the resistor to dissipate more power due to increased thermal resistance.

4. Can a resistor dissipate more power than its maximum rating?

No, a resistor should never be operated above its maximum power rating. Doing so can cause the resistor to overheat and potentially fail. It is important to choose a resistor with a power rating that is appropriate for the application.

5. How can I reduce the power dissipation in a resistor?

There are a few ways to reduce the power dissipation in a resistor. One way is to increase the resistance value, which will result in a lower current and therefore lower power dissipation. Another way is to use multiple resistors in parallel, which will divide the total power among them. Additionally, choosing a resistor with a higher power rating can also help to reduce power dissipation.