Calculating Power of Motorcycle on Sloped Road

In summary, the power necessary to sustain a motorcycle's speed is 2004.76 watts under the conditions of a level road and a 27 degree incline.
ny_aish
A motorcycle (mass of cycle plus rider = 2.5 102 kg) is traveling at a steady speed of 15 m/s. The force of air resistance acting on the cycle and rider is 1.5 102 N. Find the power necessary to sustain this speed under the following conditions.
b) the road is sloped upward at 27° with respect to the horizontal
m = 250
v = 15
t = 90
distance = 1350
angle = 27 degree
The force of air resistance acting on the cycle and rider = 150
P = ?
( I FOUND THE TIME AND DISTANCE ,IM POSITIVE THE VALUES ARE CORRECT SINCE I SOLVED ANOTHER PART OF THIS QUESTION WITH THE SAME VALUES)

**I used the Formula of Power = Work/time
Power = 150*1350* cos 27 / 90 which comes out to be 2004.76
marked wrong . any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
It may help to draw a diagram of the relevant forces acting on the vehicle both when it drives level (2 forces) and when it drives up the incline (3 forces). Think about how these forces relate to power for the given speed. Note, that you do not need to know distance or time when calculating this power.

which are the m, g, Cofcos 27 ... correct?

thats -Cof cos27, m, g. but since we r calculating Power why don't i need time or distance?

this is similar to wat i made

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 326
Think about (or read about it in your textbook) how force and velocity are related to power. When the vehicle is traveling horizontal there is only two forces that can affect the velocity: the engine force and the drag force. Given that the vehicle is not accelerating, these two must be equal.

The vehicle then drives up a 27 degree incline which means that gravity now enters the equation so to speak. There is now 3 forces at play that can affect velocity and again these must sum to zero for the velocity to be constant. And when you know the force the engine has to deliver and know the speed it does it with you also know the power (that is, once you are done thinking like I mentioned first in this post).

By the way, I have some trouble understand what you write when you shorten your words or sentences too much. Please write things in as full english as you can to help others understand what you write without too many misunderstandings. The more clearly you write the more likely you are to get assistance.

I apologize for the misunderstandings.
So when the vehicle drives up a 27 degree incline, the 3 forces at play are the GRAVITY, THE FORCE * cos27 , THE COEFFICIENT which will be negative
*** And power is directly proportional to Force and Velocity
***In other words, I find the Force by drawing a free body diagram in terms of x-axis and since i know the Velocity, i Multiply it by that therefore Power= FV

That sounds correct.

thank you sooooooooooooooooooo much! now it feels that the problem was so easy but i fried my brain over it! I appreciate your help and patience :)

1. How is the power of a motorcycle calculated on a sloped road?

The power of a motorcycle on a sloped road can be calculated using the formula: Power = (Force x Distance) / Time. Force can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the motorcycle by the acceleration due to gravity and the angle of the slope. The distance traveled can be calculated using the length of the slope and the angle. Time can be measured using a stopwatch.

2. What factors affect the power of a motorcycle on a sloped road?

The power of a motorcycle on a sloped road is affected by factors such as the weight of the motorcycle and rider, the angle of the slope, the friction between the tires and the road, and any external forces such as wind resistance or incline.

3. How does the angle of the slope affect the power of a motorcycle?

The angle of the slope plays a significant role in determining the power of a motorcycle. As the slope angle increases, so does the force required to overcome gravity and maintain forward motion. This results in a higher power output from the motorcycle.

4. Can the power of a motorcycle on a sloped road be increased?

Yes, the power of a motorcycle on a sloped road can be increased by increasing the engine's horsepower or by reducing the weight of the motorcycle. Additionally, choosing a lower gear on the motorcycle can provide more torque and increase the power output on a sloped road.

5. Is there a maximum power that a motorcycle can achieve on a sloped road?

There is no specific maximum power that a motorcycle can achieve on a sloped road as it depends on various factors such as the motorcycle's design, engine power, rider's weight, and the slope angle. However, there may be limitations set by the manufacturer or safety regulations that should be followed.