1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find speed using distance and acceleration?

1. May 11, 2015 #1
    Hi everyone,
    hopefully someone hear can help me.

a man jumps into a swimming pool from a height of 4.7m assuming that his downward acceleration is 9.8 m s2 due to gravity, at what speed does he enter the water.

I really need help knowing what equations to use, i realise i need to work out the time taken and use that to calculate the overall speed but i am having trouble displaying that as i need to show all my workings.

Thanks for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2015 #2
    You could use the formula (distance)=(initial velocity)*t + (1/2)*(acceleration)*t^2 to find the time, using initial velocity = 0, acceleration = -9.8 and distance = 4.7.

Then you could use the formula (final velocity)-(initial velocity) = (acceleration)*t, using the same acceleration and time. Dont forget the negative sign in both accelerations.

Hope this helped.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted