1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Taylor Series

1. Aug 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the Taylor series about the point x = 0 for the function [tex] \frac{1}{3-2x^3} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex] \frac{1}{3 - 2x^3} = \frac{1}{3(1 - \frac{2x^3}{3})} [/tex]. Let [tex] u = \frac{2x^3}{3} [/tex]. Then [tex] \frac{1}{3(1 - \frac{2x^3}{3})} = \frac{1}{3} \frac{1}{1 - u} = \frac{1}{3} (1 + u + u^2 + u^3 + ... )= \frac{1}{3} (1 + \frac{2x^3}{3} + \frac{4x^6}{9} + \frac{8x^9}{27} + ...) [/tex].

I learned that if a function can be expanded in a power series with the point x = 0 in its interval of convergence, then that power series expansion is also the expansion for the Taylor series, so this seems correct to me. Any mistakes?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2009 #2
    Nope!

4. Aug 19, 2009 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

Sure, looks ok... where does it converge?

Your answer to my last question says that the above equality holds for [tex]|x|<C[/tex]. Try to find a series expansion for the same function that converges for [tex]|x|>C[/tex].

5. Aug 19, 2009 #4
    Well it converges for [tex] |u| = |\frac{2x^3}{3}| < 1 [/tex]. How would I find an expansion that converges for u > 1?

6. Aug 19, 2009 #5
    You won't.

7. Sep 4, 2009 #6

benorin

Homework Helper

Note: this implies that the series expansion given in the OP converges for [itex]|x|<\sqrt[3]{{\scriptstyle \frac{3}{2}}}[/itex].

I think you mean, "How do I find an expansion for [itex]|x|> \sqrt[3]{{\scriptstyle \frac{3}{2}}}[/itex]?"

Easy, do pretty much the same thing...

[tex] \frac{1}{3 - 2x^3} = -\frac{1}{2x^3}\cdot\frac{1}{1 - \frac{3}{2x^3}} [/tex]​

Now let [itex] u = \frac{3}{2x^3}[/itex] ... you, finish.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook