Find Taylor Series of \frac{1/3}{1-2x^3/3}

In summary, the Taylor series for the function \frac{1}{3-2x^3} converges for |x|<\sqrt[3]{{\scriptstyle \frac{3}{2}}}.
JG89

Homework Statement

Find the Taylor series about the point x = 0 for the function [tex] \frac{1}{3-2x^3} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \frac{1}{3 - 2x^3} = \frac{1}{3(1 - \frac{2x^3}{3})} [/tex]. Let [tex] u = \frac{2x^3}{3} [/tex]. Then [tex] \frac{1}{3(1 - \frac{2x^3}{3})} = \frac{1}{3} \frac{1}{1 - u} = \frac{1}{3} (1 + u + u^2 + u^3 + ... )= \frac{1}{3} (1 + \frac{2x^3}{3} + \frac{4x^6}{9} + \frac{8x^9}{27} + ...) [/tex].

I learned that if a function can be expanded in a power series with the point x = 0 in its interval of convergence, then that power series expansion is also the expansion for the Taylor series, so this seems correct to me. Any mistakes?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JG89 said:
Any mistakes?
Nope!

JG89 said:

Homework Statement

Find the Taylor series about the point x = 0 for the function [tex] \frac{1}{3-2x^3} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \frac{1}{3 - 2x^3} = \frac{1}{3(1 - \frac{2x^3}{3})} [/tex]. Let [tex] u = \frac{2x^3}{3} [/tex]. Then [tex] \frac{1}{3(1 - \frac{2x^3}{3})} = \frac{1}{3} \frac{1}{1 - u} = \frac{1}{3} (1 + u + u^2 + u^3 + ... )= \frac{1}{3} (1 + \frac{2x^3}{3} + \frac{4x^6}{9} + \frac{8x^9}{27} + ...) [/tex].

I learned that if a function can be expanded in a power series with the point x = 0 in its interval of convergence, then that power series expansion is also the expansion for the Taylor series, so this seems correct to me. Any mistakes?

Sure, looks ok... where does it converge?

Your answer to my last question says that the above equality holds for [tex]|x|<C[/tex]. Try to find a series expansion for the same function that converges for [tex]|x|>C[/tex].

Well it converges for [tex] |u| = |\frac{2x^3}{3}| < 1 [/tex]. How would I find an expansion that converges for u > 1?

JG89 said:
How would I find an expansion that converges for u > 1?

You won't.

JG89 said:
Well it converges for [tex] |u| = |\frac{2x^3}{3}| < 1 [/tex].

Note: this implies that the series expansion given in the OP converges for [itex]|x|<\sqrt[3]{{\scriptstyle \frac{3}{2}}}[/itex].

JG89 said:
How would I find an expansion that converges for u > 1?

I think you mean, "How do I find an expansion for [itex]|x|> \sqrt[3]{{\scriptstyle \frac{3}{2}}}[/itex]?"

Easy, do pretty much the same thing...

[tex] \frac{1}{3 - 2x^3} = -\frac{1}{2x^3}\cdot\frac{1}{1 - \frac{3}{2x^3}} [/tex]​

Now let [itex] u = \frac{3}{2x^3}[/itex] ... you, finish.

Last edited:

FAQ: Find Taylor Series of \frac{1/3}{1-2x^3/3}

1. What is a Taylor Series?

A Taylor Series is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is a polynomial function of the input variable. It is used to approximate a function and can be used to calculate the value of a function at any point within its interval of convergence.

2. How do you find the Taylor Series of a function?

To find the Taylor Series of a function, you need to use the Taylor series formula which involves taking derivatives of the function at a specific point and plugging them into the formula. The resulting series will be the Taylor Series of the function centered at the given point.

3. What is the interval of convergence for a Taylor Series?

The interval of convergence for a Taylor Series is the range of values of the input variable for which the series converges, meaning it gives an accurate approximation of the function. The interval of convergence is determined by the radius of convergence, which is found by applying the Ratio Test to the series.

4. How do you determine the radius of convergence for a Taylor Series?

The radius of convergence for a Taylor Series can be determined by applying the Ratio Test to the series. The Ratio Test involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges, and the radius of convergence is equal to the limit. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges, and if the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive.

5. Can you use Taylor Series to find the value of a function at a specific point?

Yes, you can use Taylor Series to find the value of a function at a specific point within its interval of convergence. This is done by plugging in the given value for the input variable into the Taylor Series and evaluating the resulting series. The more terms included in the series, the more accurate the approximation will be.