Find the acceleration of an object climbing an incline....

In summary, when an object is climbing an incline, its acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle of the incline. This formula takes into account the effects of gravity and the angle of the incline on the object's motion. By knowing the angle of the incline and the acceleration due to gravity, we can determine the acceleration of an object as it moves up an incline.
Genti

Homework Statement

The only given data is that the incline is 60 degrees steep. I also presumed that there is friction. I made an attempt to solve the problem and would like to know if it is correct.

Homework Equations

Fnet=m*a

Ffk-kinetic friction force
k-friction coefficient

The Attempt at a Solution

judging by the Ox Axis:

Ffk+Gx=m*(-a)
m*g*k+m*g*sin(60degrees)=m*(-a)
m*g(k+sin(60degrees)=m*(-a)
(m gets canceled out)
a=-(gk+gsin(60degrees))
a=-9.8k-8.5

(The acceleration in my case has a negative value since I chose to make the Gx and Ffk positive)
Any criticism or correction would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Genti said:

Homework Statement

The only given data is that the incline is 60 degrees steep. I also presumed that there is friction. I made an attempt to solve the problem and would like to know if it is correct.

Homework Equations

Fnet=m*a

Ffk-kinetic friction force
k-friction coefficient

The Attempt at a Solution

judging by the Ox Axis:

Ffk+Gx=m*(-a)
m*g*k+m*g*sin(60degrees)=m*(-a)
m*g(k+sin(60degrees)=m*(-a)
(m gets canceled out)
a=-(gk+gsin(60degrees))
a=-9.8k-8.5

(The acceleration in my case has a negative value since I chose to make the Gx and Ffk positive)
Any criticism or correction would be much appreciated.

The answer is not correct. Gravity is only partly pushing the object into the slope. You have calculated too much friction.

Why not leave it as a general angle ##\theta## for the time being and see what comes out?

PeroK said:
The answer is not correct. Gravity is only partly pushing the object into the slope. You have calculated too much friction.

Why not leave it as a general angle ##\theta## for the time being and see what comes out?
What makes the problem a bit disturbing for me is that so far for the Ox axis I have only put Gx and Ffk as the only forces acting on the body. Perhaps I need to add another force vector on the opposite side showing that something is pushing the body up?

Genti said:
What makes the problem a bit disturbing for me is that so far for the Ox axis I have only put Gx and Ffk as the only forces acting on the body. Perhaps I need to add another force vector on the opposite side showing that something is pushing the body up?

You have gravity down the slope as ##mgsin(\theta)##, which is correct. But, you then have gravity into the slope as the full ##mg##, which can't be correct.

Likes Genti
PeroK said:
You have gravity down the slope as ##mgsin(\theta)##, which is correct. But, you then have gravity into the slope as the full ##mg##, which can't be correct.
From closer inspection I think I got it! Instead of equating Ffk with Gy*k I equaled it with G*k, so:

m*g*cos(60)*k+m*g*sin(60)=m*(-a)

Genti said:
From closer inspection I think I got it! Instead of equating Ffk with Gy*k I equaled it with G*k, so:

m*g*cos(60)*k+m*g*sin(60)=m*(-a)

Yes. Now, let me show you something. I want to keep your answer as:

##a = -gkcos(\theta) - gsin(\theta)##

You could now check that answer as follows:

1) What happens if ##\theta = 0##? I.e. there is no slope. You get ##a = -gk## which is all friction.

2) What happens if ##\theta = 90°##? You get ##a = -g## which is all gravity.

If you plug all the numbers in and get an answer like 12.135 or whatever, then there is no way to check this is correct in any way. Leaving the symbols in at least gives you the chance to see whether things have gone wrong and where they've gone wrong.

Likes Genti
PeroK said:
Yes. Now, let me show you something. I want to keep your answer as:

##a = -gkcos(\theta) - gsin(\theta)##

You could now check that answer as follows:

1) What happens if ##\theta = 0##? I.e. there is no slope. You get ##a = -gk## which is all friction.

2) What happens if ##\theta = 90°##? You get ##a = -g## which is all gravity.

If you plug all the numbers in and get an answer like 12.135 or whatever, then there is no way to check this is correct in any way. Leaving the symbols in at least gives you the chance to see whether things have gone wrong and where they've gone wrong.
Hmm, I see. So dealing with symbols until the very last moment is more efficient as it helps us check the steps one by one. We lose that benefit when we replace them with numbers right away. Something I'll keep in mind. Thank you for the help!

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of an object climbing an incline?

The acceleration of an object climbing an incline can be calculated using the formula a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle of the incline.

2. What factors can affect the acceleration of an object climbing an incline?

The factors that can affect the acceleration of an object climbing an incline are the angle of the incline, the mass of the object, and the friction between the object and the incline. Other factors such as air resistance may also have a small impact.

3. Can the acceleration of an object climbing an incline be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of an object climbing an incline can be negative if the incline is steeper than the object's acceleration due to gravity. In this case, the object will slow down as it moves up the incline.

4. How does the acceleration of an object climbing an incline compare to that of an object on a flat surface?

The acceleration of an object climbing an incline is less than the acceleration of an object on a flat surface. This is because the force of gravity is partially counteracted by the normal force of the incline, resulting in a smaller net force and therefore a smaller acceleration.

5. Can you use the same formula to calculate the acceleration of an object on any incline?

Yes, the formula a = gsinθ can be used to calculate the acceleration of an object on any incline, as long as the angle θ is measured from the horizontal. However, for very steep inclines, the formula may not accurately represent the true acceleration due to factors such as air resistance and friction becoming more significant.