Find the area between two curves.

In summary, to find the area between the curves y= (7-x)/5, y = +sqrt(x+7), and y = -sqrt(x+7), you need to integrate the difference of two curves for each section. When sketching the curves, it can be seen that all three bound a single area. For any given x interval, only two curves will act as the bounds, so use the curve sketch to pick the correct curves for each integral.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

Find the area between the curves y= (7-x)/5, y = +sqrt(x+7) , y = -sqrt(x+7)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the points of intersection of the graphs are at x=-7, x=-3 and x=42. So I know I need to do two integrals:

One from -7 to -3, and the other from -3 to 42. But I don't know what exactly to integrate =/

Please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jumbogala, you're on the right track - try drawing a picture of you curves

the integral for each section will be the difference of 2 curves (greater y - lesser y valued curve)

use you picture to pick the 2 curves to use for each intergal

Hmm, except that there are three curves so there's actually one on top with 2 underneath... do I have to pick just 2 curves for each integral?

if you sketch you curves, you will see all 3 bound a single area, the area you are trying to find

for any given infintesimal x interval dx, only 2 curves will be acting as the bounds, so use your curve sketch to pick the correct curves for the integral

okay I think I kind of get it...

Between -7 and -3 the area is bounded by +sqrt(x+7) and -sqrt(x+7)

Between -3 and 42 it is bounded by (x-7)/5 and -sqrt(x+7)

Which works, so it must be the right answer. Thank you!

1. What is the formula for finding the area between two curves?

The formula for finding the area between two curves is ∫(f(x) - g(x)) dx, where f(x) and g(x) are the two curves and ∫ represents the definite integral.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration when finding the area between two curves?

The limits of integration can be determined by finding the points of intersection between the two curves. These points will be the upper and lower limits of integration.

3. Can the area between two curves be negative?

No, the area between two curves is always a positive value. This is because the definite integral calculates the net area between the curves, taking into account any areas below the x-axis as negative values.

4. Are there any special cases when finding the area between two curves?

Yes, there are two special cases when finding the area between two curves: when the curves do not intersect at all, or when one curve is completely above or below the other. In these cases, the area between the curves is simply 0.

5. Can you find the area between three or more curves?

Yes, the concept of finding the area between two curves can be extended to finding the area between three or more curves. The same formula and principles apply, but the number of limits of integration will increase accordingly.