1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the area between two curves.

1. Mar 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the area between the curves y= (7-x)/5, y = +sqrt(x+7) , y = -sqrt(x+7)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the points of intersection of the graphs are at x=-7, x=-3 and x=42. So I know I need to do two integrals:

One from -7 to -3, and the other from -3 to 42. But I don't know what exactly to integrate =/

Please help!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

Hi jumbogala, you're on the right track - try drawing a picture of you curves

the integral for each section will be the difference of 2 curves (greater y - lesser y valued curve)

use you picture to pick the 2 curves to use for each intergal

4. Mar 9, 2009 #3
    Hmm, except that there are three curves so there's actually one on top with 2 underneath... do I have to pick just 2 curves for each integral?

5. Mar 9, 2009 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

if you sketch you curves, you will see all 3 bound a single area, the area you are trying to find

for any given infintesimal x interval dx, only 2 curves will be acting as the bounds, so use your curve sketch to pick the correct curves for the integral

6. Mar 9, 2009 #5
    okay I think I kind of get it...

Between -7 and -3 the area is bounded by +sqrt(x+7) and -sqrt(x+7)

Between -3 and 42 it is bounded by (x-7)/5 and -sqrt(x+7)

Which works, so it must be the right answer. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook