1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the area of the region.

1. Feb 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

find the area of the region bounded by r = 3 + 2sin(theta)

heres a pic of the intended equations i have so far: http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8804/untitledpk1.jpg

2. Relevant equations

A = 1/2 B integral A r^2 d(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution

2 * 1/2 integral (3 + 2sin(theta))^2 d(theta

this is as far as i have gotten with this, i am not good with integrals, can someone help me with the rest of this please. thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

ok Well basically you need help with this integral:

[tex]\int^b_a (3 + 2\sin \theta)^2 d\theta[/tex].

Expand the binomial. (I'm going to ignore the bounds for now, account for them later for me please :P)

[tex]\int 9 + 12\sin\theta + 4\sin^2 \theta d\theta[/tex].

Split the integral up. the first 2 parts are very easy, you should get this.

[tex]9\theta - 12\cos\theta + 4\int \sin^2\theta d\theta[/tex].

We know that [tex]\sin^2 \theta = \frac { 1-\cos {2\theta}}{2}[/tex]. Just sub that in, take out the factor of 1/2, split it up again, easy work. GOGOGO!
  4. Feb 14, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Becareful when you are doing the part Gib Z did NOT do- determine the limits of integration. What values of [itex]\theta[/itex] will take you exactly once around the boundary?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?