1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the coordinate transformation given the metric

1. Feb 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the line element ##ds^2## in some space, find the transformation relating the coordinates ##x,y ## and ##\bar x, \bar y##.

2. Relevant equations
    ##ds^2 = (1 - \frac{y^2}{3}) dx^2 + (1 - \frac{x^2}{3}) dy^2 + \frac{2}{3}xy dxdy##

##ds^2 = (1 + (a\bar x + c\bar y)^2) d\bar x^2 + (1 + (b\bar y + c\bar x)^2) d\bar y^2 + 2(a\bar x + c\bar y)(b\bar y + c\bar x) d\bar xd\bar y##

3. The attempt at a solution
    My idea was to use the relations
    ##g_{\bar x\bar x} = g_{xx} (\frac{\partial {x}}{\partial {\bar x}})^2 + g_{yy} (\frac{\partial {y}}{\partial {\bar x}})^2 + 2g_{xy} (\frac{\partial {x}}{\partial {\bar x}}\frac{\partial {y}}{\partial {\bar x}}) ##, etc

Since the components ##g_{ij}##'s of the metric are given, maybe I can isolate the x's and y's, but I'm not sure if this is correct and I can't seem to isolate and integrate. Can anyone give me any hint?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are missing the off diagonal terms in your relations between the metric components, but yes. That would be the general approach.

4. Feb 8, 2016 #3
    I keep forgetting that off diagonal term, I've edited my post. So generally I need to isolate the variable then integrate?

5. Feb 8, 2016 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By identifying the terms, you should get a system of partial differential equations which you can solve.

6. Feb 8, 2016 #5
    That is quite clear but maybe there are other ways to solve this problem, I doubt if A. Zee (author of the book I'm reading) wanted his readers to solve it this way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted