• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Find the coordinate transformation given the metric

Homework Statement

Given the line element ##ds^2## in some space, find the transformation relating the coordinates ##x,y ## and ##\bar x, \bar y##.

Homework Equations

##ds^2 = (1 - \frac{y^2}{3}) dx^2 + (1 - \frac{x^2}{3}) dy^2 + \frac{2}{3}xy dxdy##

##ds^2 = (1 + (a\bar x + c\bar y)^2) d\bar x^2 + (1 + (b\bar y + c\bar x)^2) d\bar y^2 + 2(a\bar x + c\bar y)(b\bar y + c\bar x) d\bar xd\bar y##

The Attempt at a Solution

My idea was to use the relations
##g_{\bar x\bar x} = g_{xx} (\frac{\partial {x}}{\partial {\bar x}})^2 + g_{yy} (\frac{\partial {y}}{\partial {\bar x}})^2 + 2g_{xy} (\frac{\partial {x}}{\partial {\bar x}}\frac{\partial {y}}{\partial {\bar x}}) ##, etc

Since the components ##g_{ij}##'s of the metric are given, maybe I can isolate the x's and y's, but I'm not sure if this is correct and I can't seem to isolate and integrate. Can anyone give me any hint?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
You are missing the off diagonal terms in your relations between the metric components, but yes. That would be the general approach.

You are missing the off diagonal terms in your relations between the metric components, but yes. That would be the general approach.
I keep forgetting that off diagonal term, I've edited my post. So generally I need to isolate the variable then integrate?

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
By identifying the terms, you should get a system of partial differential equations which you can solve.

By identifying the terms, you should get a system of partial differential equations which you can solve.
That is quite clear but maybe there are other ways to solve this problem, I doubt if A. Zee (author of the book I'm reading) wanted his readers to solve it this way.