Find the coordinate transformation given the metric

In summary, in order to find the transformation relating the coordinates ##x,y## and ##\bar x, \bar y## given the line element ##ds^2## in some space, one can use the relations between the metric components and solve the resulting system of partial differential equations.
Whitehole

Homework Statement

Given the line element ##ds^2## in some space, find the transformation relating the coordinates ##x,y ## and ##\bar x, \bar y##.

Homework Equations

##ds^2 = (1 - \frac{y^2}{3}) dx^2 + (1 - \frac{x^2}{3}) dy^2 + \frac{2}{3}xy dxdy##

##ds^2 = (1 + (a\bar x + c\bar y)^2) d\bar x^2 + (1 + (b\bar y + c\bar x)^2) d\bar y^2 + 2(a\bar x + c\bar y)(b\bar y + c\bar x) d\bar xd\bar y##

The Attempt at a Solution

My idea was to use the relations
##g_{\bar x\bar x} = g_{xx} (\frac{\partial {x}}{\partial {\bar x}})^2 + g_{yy} (\frac{\partial {y}}{\partial {\bar x}})^2 + 2g_{xy} (\frac{\partial {x}}{\partial {\bar x}}\frac{\partial {y}}{\partial {\bar x}}) ##, etc

Since the components ##g_{ij}##'s of the metric are given, maybe I can isolate the x's and y's, but I'm not sure if this is correct and I can't seem to isolate and integrate. Can anyone give me any hint?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are missing the off diagonal terms in your relations between the metric components, but yes. That would be the general approach.

Orodruin said:
You are missing the off diagonal terms in your relations between the metric components, but yes. That would be the general approach.
I keep forgetting that off diagonal term, I've edited my post. So generally I need to isolate the variable then integrate?

By identifying the terms, you should get a system of partial differential equations which you can solve.

Orodruin said:
By identifying the terms, you should get a system of partial differential equations which you can solve.
That is quite clear but maybe there are other ways to solve this problem, I doubt if A. Zee (author of the book I'm reading) wanted his readers to solve it this way.

1. How do you find the coordinate transformation given the metric?

To find the coordinate transformation given the metric, you first need to calculate the Christoffel symbols using the metric. Then, you can solve the geodesic equation using the Christoffel symbols to obtain the transformation equations.

2. What is the purpose of finding the coordinate transformation?

The purpose of finding the coordinate transformation is to transform the coordinates of a point in one coordinate system to the coordinates of the same point in a different coordinate system. This is useful in solving problems in general relativity and other areas of physics.

3. Can the coordinate transformation be found for any metric?

Yes, the coordinate transformation can be found for any metric. However, the complexity of the transformation equations may vary depending on the complexity of the metric.

4. Are there any special techniques for finding the coordinate transformation?

There are various techniques and methods for finding the coordinate transformation, such as using differential geometry, tensor calculus, and computer simulations. The most appropriate technique may depend on the specific problem and the complexity of the metric.

5. What are some applications of finding the coordinate transformation?

Finding the coordinate transformation has various applications in physics, such as in solving problems in general relativity, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in engineering and geodesy for mapping and navigation purposes.