Finding Critical Numbers for a Polynomial Function with Power and Chain Rules

• Thread starter frosty8688
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, the critical numbers of F(x) = x^{\frac{4}{5}}(x-4)^{2} are 0, 4, and an additional unknown number. The recommended method for finding this third critical number is to use the product rule in combination with the power and chain rules. Alternatively, rewriting the function in a different form may also help in finding the critical numbers.
frosty8688
1. Find the critical numbers of [itex] F(x) = x^{\frac{4}{5}}(x-4)^{2} [/itex]

2. Power rule then chain rule

3. [itex] F'(x) = \frac{4}{5}x^{\frac{-1}{5}} (x-4)^{2}*2(x-4) [/itex] I know two critical numbers are 0 and 4 and I am having problems finding the third one.

Physics news on Phys.org
frosty8688 said:
1. Find the critical numbers of [itex] F(x) = x^{\frac{4}{5}}(x-4)^{2} [/itex]
2. Power rule then chain rule
and product rule?
frosty8688 said:
3. [itex] F'(x) = \frac{4}{5}x^{\frac{-1}{5}} (x-4)^{2}*2(x-4) [/itex]
The first rule to use would be the product rule. It doesn't look to me like you used that rule.
frosty8688 said:
I know two critical numbers are 0 and 4 and I am having problems finding the third one.

Another way to do this is to write
[tex]F(x)= x^{\frac{4}{5}}(x^2- 8x+ 16)= x^{\frac{14}{5}}- 8x^{\frac{9}{5}}+ 16x^{\frac{4}{5}}[/tex]

That makes it easier to understand.

Yes, but it would also be useful to use the product rule (correctly). The results should be the same for either method, but you might need to use some algebra to confirm that they are the same.

1. What are critical numbers?

Critical numbers are the values of a function where the derivative is equal to zero or does not exist. They are important in finding the maximum and minimum points of a function.

2. How do you find the critical numbers of a function?

To find the critical numbers, you need to first take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the variable to find the critical numbers. You may also need to check for any values that make the derivative undefined.

3. Why is it important to find the critical numbers of a function?

Finding the critical numbers helps us identify the local maximum and minimum points of a function. This information is useful in optimization problems and understanding the behavior of a function.

4. Can a function have more than one critical number?

Yes, a function can have multiple critical numbers. This happens when the derivative is equal to zero at different points or when the derivative does not exist at different points.

5. How do you determine if a critical number is a maximum or minimum point?

To determine if a critical number is a maximum or minimum point, we can use the second derivative test. If the second derivative is positive, then the critical number is a minimum point. If the second derivative is negative, then the critical number is a maximum point. If the second derivative is zero, then the test is inconclusive and we need to use other methods to determine the nature of the critical point.