Find the equation for horizontal motion

In summary, the problem asks for the equation of the horizontal motion, as well as the equations for ymax and tymax in the vertical motion. The horizontal motion is unrestrained unless accounting for air resistance, while the vertical motion is affected by gravity. The kinematic equations for constant acceleration can be used to find the position in terms of time, with acceleration set at 0 for constant speed. The equation for ymax is 19.6t-4.9t^2 and the equation for x(t) is xf=xi+vit+at^2.
clintau
a ball is thrown with v(initial)=5i+19.6j

find the equation of the horizontal motion

Homework Equations

the problems asks for ymax and tymax and part b asks for the equations of the horizontal and vertical motions.

Lost on the equations

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far?

your velocity is a vector... break it into components and you will see that your horizontal vector is unrestrained unless you are accounting for air resistance and then your vertical vector will be affected by gravity based on time...

No air resistance. The x component is 5 and y is 19.6. I don't know how to write the equation of the line. would it just be x=5.0? It doesn't seem that easy considering entire motion is parbolic? Would y=19.6 be correct for the motion in the y direction?

Have you heard of the kinematic equations for constant acceleration? You will need to use those.

no what are they?

do you mean:
xf=xi+vit+1/2at^2
and vf=vi+at

i believe you meant constant velocity... the velocity in the x direction is constant so you integrate with respect to time to get the position in terms of time... and then you have your velocity in the vertical direction which isn't constant because it is getting smaller due to gravity so you have to put that in and find WHEN the vertical velocity is zero so that you can integrate the entire vertical velocity equation to get position based in terms of time and plug in that time you just obtained to get max height...

You can use the constant acceleration equations with acceleration set at 0 and they reduce to those for constant speed.

yes but if you start with 0 as your acceleration and integrate to get velocity what do you get?

xf=xi+vit+at2

xi=0
vi=5
a=?
t=4sec (or 2*tymax)
Xf=0+(5*4)+8a

yes no...I still don't know where this gets me toward writing an equation for the motion.

In review of the post it appears that I didn't know the RELEVANT EQUATIONS. I did. I have found ymax to be 19.6 and tymax to be 2.0

That is the equation of motion in the x direction. Acceleration is 0 by the way if you're ignoring air resistance.

if you have to use those equations in part a of the question why would my teacher ask for the equation of the motion in the x and y directions in part b?

post what equations you have actually arrived at and maybe we can check what you got

Ymax=Yi+ViyT-4.9t^2
Ymax=19.6t-4.9t^2

Vf=Vi+at @ymax Vf=0 a=9.8(down)
t=2.0=Tymax

Ymax=0+19.6(2)-4.9(4)
Ymax=19.6

Correct

looks good to me, that's what i got too... are you looking for anything else?

he asks for the equation of vertical motion y(t) and horizontal motion x(t)

I don't know how to express that

Those are the equations of motion. I don't know why your teacher has asked for them but there we go. Its as simple as that.

thank your help

1. What is horizontal motion and why is it important to find its equation?

Horizontal motion is the movement of an object in a horizontal direction, such as left or right. It is important to find its equation because it allows us to predict the future position and velocity of the object, which can be useful in various applications such as physics, engineering, and navigation.

2. How do you find the equation for horizontal motion?

The equation for horizontal motion is typically represented as x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2, where x is the position of the object, x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, t is time, and a is acceleration. This equation can be derived using principles of kinematics, specifically the equations of motion.

3. What are some common symbols used in the equation for horizontal motion?

The most common symbols used in the equation for horizontal motion are x (position), x0 (initial position), v0 (initial velocity), t (time), and a (acceleration). Other symbols that may be used include v (velocity) and Δx (change in position).

4. Can the equation for horizontal motion be used for all types of motion?

No, the equation for horizontal motion is specific to objects that are moving in a straight line with a constant acceleration. It cannot be used for objects that are experiencing non-constant acceleration or motion in multiple directions.

5. How can the equation for horizontal motion be applied in real-life situations?

The equation for horizontal motion can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile, predicting the motion of a moving vehicle, or determining the distance traveled by an object on a horizontal surface. It can also be used in fields such as sports, where the motion of a ball or player can be analyzed using this equation.