Find the equation of the circle

• Thread starter jimmycricket
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary, the line z=y+x is mapped to a circle by the function f(z)=\frac{z-1}{1-zi}. The equation of this circle can be found by solving univariate optimization problems or by looking at limits as x\rightarrow\pm\infty.
jimmycricket

Homework Statement

The line [tex]\{z: y=t+x\}[/tex] is mapped to a circle by the function [tex]f(z)=\frac{z-1}{1-zi}[/tex] Find the equation of this circle.

The Attempt at a Solution

One method is to find mappings of three points on the line. These points will be mapped to the circles boundary. Then find the intersection of the perpendicular bisectors of the two chords that join the 3 points to give the center of the circle. This turns out to be far too tedious and messy.

I've found another method that utilizes the "preservation of symmetric points under inversion" property but i only understand it when I'm dealing with a circle not a line as in this case.
For the circle case it goes something like this:
The center of the circle and infinity are inverse points with respect to the circle. Then the images [tex]f(center)\:\:\:and\:\:\:f(\infty)[/tex] are inverse with repect to the circle under inversion so [tex]f(\infty)[/tex] gives the center.
I'm not sure how to adjust this for the case with a line in the beginning.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the circle definition. Are (x,y) supposed to represent complex numbers?

One method is to find mappings of three points on the line. These points will be mapped to the circles boundary. Then find the intersection of the perpendicular bisectors of the two chords that join the 3 points to give the center of the circle. This turns out to be far too tedious and messy.
Maybe there are special points that make it easier to guess the center? You can prove it with other methods then.

Likes 1 person
jimmycricket said:

Homework Statement

The line [tex]\{z: y=t+x\}[/tex] is mapped to a circle by the function [tex]f(z)=\frac{z-1}{1-zi}[/tex] Find the equation of this circle.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found another method that utilizes the "preservation of symmetric points under inversion" property but i only understand it when I'm dealing with a circle not a line as in this case.
For the circle case it goes something like this:
The center of the circle and infinity are inverse points with respect to the circle. Then the images [tex]f(center)\:\:\:and\:\:\:f(\infty)[/tex] are inverse with repect to the circle under inversion so [tex]f(\infty)[/tex] gives the center.
I'm not sure how to adjust this for the case with a line in the beginning.

You can substitute ##z = x + i(t+x)## into ##Z \equiv f(z)##, then take the real and imaginary parts (assuming that ##t## is a real, fixed parameter). This will give you something of the form
[tex] Z = A(x,t) + i B(x,t)[/tex]
with some known functions ##A,B##. As ##x## varies over ##(-\infty, \infty)## the point ##Z## will trace out a curve in ##\mathbb{C}## (again, assuming ##t## is just a fixed real parameter). You can find the maxima and minima of the functions ##A(x,t), B(x,t)## by solving univariate optimization problems and/or looking at limits as ##x \to \pm \infty##. Those will give you the vertical and horizontal lines that bound your curve ##Z(x)##, and if ##Z(x)## is truly a circle, that will allow you to figure out the radius and center.

Likes 1 person
So [tex]f(x+i(t+x))=\frac{x-1+i(t+x)}{1+t}=A(x,t)+B(x,t)=\frac{x-1}{1+t}+i\frac{x+t}{1+t}[/tex]

The limits of A and B as [itex]x\rightarrow\pm\infty[/itex] do not exist. This implies the line is mapped to another line and not a circle. Is this true? I was certain it was mapped to a circle.

jimmycricket said:
So [tex]f(x+i(t+x))=\frac{x-1+i(t+x)}{1+t}=A(x,t)+B(x,t)=\frac{x-1}{1+t}+i\frac{x+t}{1+t}[/tex]

The limits of A and B as [itex]x\rightarrow\pm\infty[/itex] do not exist. This implies the line is mapped to another line and not a circle. Is this true? I was certain it was mapped to a circle.

[tex] f(x+i(x+t)) = \frac{x-1 +i(x+t)}{1-i[x+i(x+t)]}
= A + i B, \text{ where}\\
A = -\frac{1+t}{1+2x+2t+2x^2+2xt+t^2}, \;B = \text{for you to fill in} [/tex]

Likes 1 person

1. What is the equation for a circle?

The equation for a circle is (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2, where (h,k) represents the center point of the circle and r represents the radius.

2. How do you find the equation of a circle given its center and radius?

To find the equation of a circle given its center (h,k) and radius r, use the formula (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2 and plug in the values for h, k, and r.

3. Can you find the equation of a circle if you only know three points on its circumference?

Yes, you can find the equation of a circle given three points on its circumference. First, find the center point (h,k) by finding the midpoint of any two of the three points. Then, use the distance formula to find the radius r by plugging in the values of the center point and one of the given points. Finally, use the formula (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2 to find the equation of the circle.

4. Is the equation of a circle always in the form of (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2?

Yes, the equation of a circle is always in the form of (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2, also known as the standard form of a circle.

5. How do you graph a circle with its equation?

To graph a circle with its equation, first identify the center point (h,k) and radius r from the equation. Then, plot the center point on the coordinate plane and use the radius to mark points on the circumference of the circle. Connect these points to form the circle.