Finding the First Derivative of a Polynomial Function

• Thread starter Sethka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation is about finding the first derivative of f(x)=x^2-(7x^2)/2-9x+3. The person is unsure of how to handle the (7x^2)/2 term and considers using the quotient rule. However, they realize that they can treat 7/2 as a constant and get the derivative of x^2. They then feel silly for overthinking the problem.
Sethka
I've got f(x)=x^2-(7x^2)/2-9x+3

I need to find the first derivative of it but I get as far as 2x- but I'm stumped as to what to do with (7x^2)/2 Would I use the quotiant rule? Or should I somehow bring the 2 up to the top and if so how do I do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sethka said:
I've got f(x)=x^2-(7x^2)/2-9x+3

I need to find the first derivative of it but I get as far as 2x- but I'm stumped as to what to do with (7x^2)/2 Would I use the quotiant rule? Or should I somehow bring the 2 up to the top and if so how do I do that?

If you mean [tex]f(x) = x^2 + \frac {7x^2}{2} -9x + 3[/tex], I'm sure that you can see what the answer will be.

If on the other hand you mean [tex]f(x) = x^2 + \frac {7x^2}{2 - 9x} + 3[/tex], use quotient rule.

I guess I risk coming off really stupid but I do mean the first one (7x^2)/2 It looks so simple I know, but I'm not sure which direction to go with the 2. Sorry if I'm wasting your guys' time or anything, but I can't see what the answer should be.

treat 7/2 as a constant (which it is :)) and get the derivative of x^2

Oh! Thank you! Funny how the simplest things can seem so hard. I feel silly now.

1. What is the purpose of finding the first derivative?

The first derivative is used to determine the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It can also be used to find the slope of a tangent line to a curve at a given point.

2. How is the first derivative calculated?

The first derivative is calculated using the formula f'(x) = lim(h->0) (f(x+h) - f(x))/h. This formula is also known as the difference quotient.

3. What information can be obtained from the first derivative?

The first derivative provides information about the behavior of a function. It can help determine whether a function is increasing or decreasing, and can identify maximum and minimum points.

4. How is the first derivative used in real-life applications?

The first derivative is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It can be used to analyze and optimize real-world problems, such as finding the maximum profit or minimum cost of a product.

5. Are there any alternative methods for finding the first derivative?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the first derivative, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules can be used to find the derivative of more complex functions.