Find the following limit as x->0

• Thread starter thenewbosco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation is about finding a limit as x approaches 0 and using L'Hopital's rule. One person suggests multiplying the expression with 1 to simplify it, while another person suggests factorization as a more fun method. They also discuss the importance of practice and patience in solving similar mathematical problems.
thenewbosco
find the following limit as x-->0

Hello I am trying to find the following limit as x-->0. I have tried using l'hopital's rule but all it produces is a more complex thing i still can't take the limit of. any help?
[tex]\frac{sin x - x}{sin^3(x)}[/tex]
I can see this limit exists on the graph i just don't know how to go about solving it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take L'hopital once.
Then multiply your expression with [tex]1=\frac{\cos(x)+1}{\cos(x)+1}[/tex]

Thanks this worked. One question about this is how did you know to multiply by this? How would one know to do this when faced with similar situations

You could have just done L'Hôpital again.

arildno just factored the denominator (after converting sin² to cos²).

thenewbosco said:
Thanks this worked. One question about this is how did you know to multiply by this? How would one know to do this when faced with similar situations
Just practice&patience.
To think of simple tricks like this comes naturally to you if you have worked assiduously with your maths earlier.

Hurkyl said:
You could have just done L'Hôpital again.

arildno just factored the denominator (after converting sin² to cos²).
Factorization is more fun.

What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics is a value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or index approaches a certain value. It is used to describe the behavior of a function or sequence near a specific point or as the input or index approaches infinity or negative infinity.

How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can either use algebraic techniques, such as factoring and simplifying, or you can use graphical methods, such as plotting the function and observing its behavior near the point in question. You can also use analytical methods, such as L'Hôpital's rule, to find limits of more complicated functions.

What does it mean to find the limit as x approaches 0?

When finding the limit as x approaches 0, you are determining the value that the function approaches as the input, x, gets closer and closer to 0. This can be thought of as the behavior of the function at or near x = 0.

Why is finding limits important?

Finding limits is important because it helps us understand the behavior of functions at specific points or as the input approaches certain values. It also allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of a function without having to evaluate it at every single point.

What are some common techniques for finding limits?

Some common techniques for finding limits include using algebraic manipulation, substitution, factoring, and simplifying. Graphical methods, such as using a graphing calculator or plotting the function, can also be helpful. Analytical methods, such as using derivatives or L'Hôpital's rule, can be used for more complicated functions.