a(n)=2/T*Integration[f(t)cos(n*w*t)dt]

b(n)=2/T*Integration[f(t)sin(n*w*t)dt]

xcos(ax)= 1/a^2(cos(ax)+ax*sin(ax))

The Attempt at a Solution

T=4
w=2*pi/T
w=pi/2

a(n)=2/T*Integration[f(t)cos(n*w*t)dt]
a(n)=2/4*Integration[(t+2)cos((n*pi*t)/2)dt + 2/4*Integration[2cos((n*pi*t)/2)dt]]

That is as far as i got.
I know the next step is to integrate each term with respect to t, but not sure what to do with the (t+2) out the front. We were told to use the formula sheet and replace ( this the third formula above). Any help would be great
Cheers, Jack

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jack! :smile:

(have a pi: π and an omega: ω and an integral: ∫ :wink:)
CptJackWest said:

… not sure what to do with the (t+2) out the front. We were told to use the formula sheet and replace ( this the third formula above).

Now find the equivalent formula for xsin(ax) :wink:

Thanks for the help,
equivalent formula for xsin(ax)= 1/a^2(sin(ax)+ax*cos(ax))
But what do i do with the t+2 out the front of the cos((n*pi*t)/2).
That is the bit i need help with!

Write x instead of t and use the formula! :smile:

But won't it integrate differently because it is in the formula x is the same inside the cos as well as in front. But in my equation I have a t and a t+2.

| |

a(n)=2/4*Integration[(t+2)cos((n*pi*t)/2)dt + 2/4*Integration[2cos((n*pi*t)/2)dt]]
| |

Related to Find the Fourier Series of the Function

1. What is the Fourier Series of a Function?

The Fourier Series of a Function is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It allows us to break down a complex function into simpler components, making it easier to understand and analyze.

2. Why is it important to find the Fourier Series of a Function?

Finding the Fourier Series of a Function is important because it allows us to solve problems in areas such as engineering, physics, and signal processing. It also helps in understanding the behavior of periodic functions and their properties.

3. How do you find the Fourier Series of a Function?

To find the Fourier Series of a Function, we use a mathematical technique called Fourier analysis. This involves breaking down the function into a sum of sine and cosine terms using integration and complex numbers. The coefficients of these terms form the Fourier Series.

4. What is the process for finding the Fourier Series of a Function?

The process for finding the Fourier Series of a Function involves several steps. First, we determine the period of the function. Then, we express the function as a sum of sine and cosine functions using complex numbers. Next, we calculate the coefficients of these terms using integration. Finally, we combine all the terms to form the Fourier Series.

5. Can the Fourier Series of a Function be used to approximate any function?

No, the Fourier Series can only be used to approximate periodic functions. If a function is not periodic, its Fourier Series will not converge to the original function. In such cases, we use other mathematical techniques, such as Fourier Transform, to analyze the function.