Find the general solution in chemistry?

In summary, to find the general solution of y"'-y"-y'+y=2e-t+3, you need to add the particular solution, y=c1et+c2tet+c3e-t+(1/2)te-t+3, and guess the correct form for the specific solution, up to coefficients that have to be determined.
Success
Find the general solution of y"'-y"-y'+y=2e-t+3.

Here's the work:
r3-r2-r+1=r2(r-1)-(r-1)=(r-1)(r2-1)=(r2-1)2(r+1)
r=1, -1
y=c1et+c2tet+c3e-t

The answer in the textbook is y=c1et+c2tet+c3e-t+(1/2)te-t+3 but I don't know how to get the last 2 terms. Help me...

Physics news on Phys.org
Success said:

Here's the work:
r=1, -1
y=c1et+c2tet+c3e-t

The answer in the textbook is y=c1et+c2tet+c3e-t+(1/2)te-t+3 but I don't know how to get the last 2 terms. Help me...

I believe what they have there is the particular solution ##y_p##.

Last edited:
Let me try to find the particular solution and see if it makes sense then.

Yes, what you've found is the solution to the homogeneous equation (where the right hand side is 0). You need to add the particular solution.

There are two standard ways of finding a "specific solution" to a non-homogeneous linear equation to be added to the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation:
1) "Variation of Parameters". Given independent solutions y1 and y2 to the associated homogeneous equation, look for a specific solution to the entire equation of the form uy1+ vy2, solving for u and v.

2) "Undetermined Coefficients". Guess the correct form for the specific solution up to coefficients that have to be determined.

The second only works if you can guess the correct form and that will be only when the "right hand side" (or "non-homogeous part") of the equation is itself one of the various kinds of functions one expects to get as solutions to a linear homogeneous equation with constant coefficients. The first works for any "right hand side" but is much more difficult computationally.

The " kinds of functions one expects to get as solutions to a linear homogeneous equation with constant coefficients" are (1) exponentials, (2) polynomials, (3) sines and cosines, and (4) combinations of those.

Here, the "right hand side" is [itex]2e^{-t}+ 3[/itex] which is of that kind so we ca use "undetermined coefficients". Yes, the general solution to the "associated homogeneous equation" is [itex]C_1e^t+ C_2te^{t}+ C_3e^{-t}[/itex]. For a "right hand side" involving [itex]e^{-t}[/itex] we would normally try [tex]Ae^{-t}[/tex] but that is already a solution of the associated homogeneous equation so we try, instead, [tex]Ate^{-t}[/tex] (just as the fact that "1" is a double root of the characteristic equation gives [itex]e^t[/itex] and [itex]te^t[/itex] as solutions to the associated homogeneous equation).

That is, set [itex]y(t)= Ate^{-t}+ B[/itex] in the equation and solve for A and B.

HallsofIvy, how do I do that? Can you show complete work?

Success said:

He's already done most of the work for you by guessing the correct form of the particular solution. All you would have to do at this point is plug it in and solve for the coefficients.

Undetermined coefficients relies on the fact that you can guess the form of the particular solution.

HallsofIvy said:
That is, set [itex]y(t)= Ate^{-t}+ B[/itex] in the equation and solve for A and B.

Success said:
No, he can't. Or he shouldn't -- since showing the complete work would be against our forum guidelines. To proceed, you should:

1. Substitute the expression HallsofIvy wrote into the differential equation you have.
2. Take derivatives, as necessary, of HallsofIvy's expression.
3. Combine like terms together, and examine them to figure out what A and B are.

If you get stuck, post all the work you were able to do up until the point where you got stuck.

Success said:

Here's the work:
r=1, -1
You have a mistake here that I don't think anyone noticed. The final factorization should be (r - 1)2(r + 1), NOT (r2 - 1)2(r + 1).
Success said:
y=c1et+c2tet+c3e-t

Mark44, yeah, you're right.

Okay, I've took the derivatives for all of them and I got y'=Ce^(-t)(-t+1), y"=Ce^(-t)(t-2) and y'''=Ce^(-t)(-t+3). I combined like terms and got Ce^(-t)(-t+3-t+2+t-1+t)=2e^-t, C=1/2, so yeah, the answer makes sense. But can anyone tell me how to get t in (-t+3-t+2+t-1+t)? The last term.

1. What is a general solution in chemistry?

A general solution in chemistry refers to a solution that can be used to dissolve a variety of substances. It is a solution that has a balanced concentration of solutes and solvents, making it versatile for use in different experiments or applications.

2. How do you find the general solution in chemistry?

To find the general solution in chemistry, you first need to determine the solutes and solvents that are present in the solution. Then, you need to calculate the concentration of each component and adjust it accordingly to achieve a balanced solution. This process is known as dilution.

3. What factors affect the general solution in chemistry?

The concentration and type of solutes and solvents used in the solution can affect its general nature. Temperature, pressure, and other environmental factors can also influence the solution's properties and its ability to dissolve substances.

4. Why is it important to find the general solution in chemistry?

Finding the general solution in chemistry is essential because it allows for the accurate measurement and control of substances in experiments. It also enables scientists to create solutions with specific properties for various applications, such as cleaning, medicine, and manufacturing processes.

5. Can the general solution in chemistry be used for all types of substances?

No, the general solution in chemistry may not dissolve all types of substances. Some substances may require specific solvents or conditions to dissolve, and others may not dissolve at all. It is essential to understand the properties of the substances you are working with to determine if the general solution is suitable.