Find the Maclaurin Series for tanx

In summary, we need to find the terms through x^5 in the Maclaurin series for f(x)=tanx by using the formula \sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}{\frac{f^{(n)}(0)}{n!}x^n}. However, the math becomes messy and we can also use the long division method to find the terms. This method involves generating a set of linear equations and solving for the coefficients. It may seem daunting at first, but with practice, it becomes easier.
turkcyclone

Homework Statement

Find the terms through x^5 in the Maclaurin series for f(x)

f(x)=tanx

Homework Equations

tanx=sinx/cosx

Maclaurin Series for:

sinx=x-x^3/3!+x^5/5!-x^7/7!...
cosx=1-x^2/2!+x^4/4!-X6/6!...

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done tanx=sinx/cosx

So I need to solve for (x-x^3/3!+x^5/5!-x^7/7!+x^9/9!)/(1-x^2/2!+x^4/4!-X6/6!+x^8/8!),
but I don't know how to solve this. Can someone help me with my division? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Cant you just find the Maclaurin series the direct way? By using the formula

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}{\frac{f^{(n)}(0)}{n!}x^n}[/tex]

So to find the term at [tex]x^5[/tex], you'll need to derive 5 times.

micromass said:
Cant you just find the Maclaurin series the direct way? By using the formula

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}{\frac{f^{(n)}(0)}{n!}x^n}[/tex]

So to find the term at [tex]x^5[/tex], you'll need to derive 5 times.

No, for this problem I am suppose to use the way I am trying, those were the directions.

So you'll need to find a power series [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}{a_nx^n}[/tex] such that

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}{\frac{(-1)^n}{(2n+1)!}x^{2n+1}}=\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}{a_nx^n}\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}{\frac{(-1)^n}{(2n)!}x^{2n}}[/tex]

Perform the product (up to [tex]x^5[/tex]) and compare the coefficients...

Well, if you're not allowed to just expand the series with derivatives, you can do this:

[tex] \tan x = \frac{\sin x}{\cos x} [/tex]
[tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n x^n = \frac{x-\frac{x^3}{3!}+\frac{x^5}{5!}-...}{1-\frac{x^2}{2!}+\frac{x^4}{4!}-...} [/tex]
[tex] (1-\frac{x^2}{2!}+\frac{x^4}{4!}-... )\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n x^n = x-\frac{x^3}{3!}+\frac{x^5}{5!}-...[/tex]

Now multiply out the first few terms of the left side, up to terms of order [itex]x^5[/itex], and generate a set of linear equations in [itex]a_n[/itex] (since the coefficients of the powers on either side must be the same). Solve those and you have your answer.

Last edited:
Likes Philethan
turkcyclone said:
Can someone help me with my division? Thanks!

Can you follow this and continue the long division to get the remaining terms?

[tex]
\begin{array}{rc@{}c}
& \multicolumn{2}{l}{\, \, \, x} \vspace*{0.12cm} \\
\cline{2-3}
\multicolumn{1}{r}{1-\frac{x^2}{2}+\frac{x^4}{4!}-\frac{x^6}{6!}+\dotsb \hspace*{-4.8pt}} & \multicolumn{1}{l}{ \hspace*{-5.6pt} \Big) \hspace*{4.6pt} x-\frac{x^3}{2}+\frac{x^5}{24}+\dotsb} \\
& \multicolumn{2}{l}{\, \,\,\hspace{-18pt} -(x-\frac{x^3}{2}+\frac{x^5}{4!}+\dotsb}
\\
\vspace{1mm}
\cline{2-3}
\multicolumn{2}{1}{\,\,\,\hspace{150pt} 1/3 x^3+\dotsb} \\
\vspace{1mm}
\end{array}
[/tex]

jackmell said:
Can you follow this and continue the long division to get the remaining terms?

[tex]
\begin{array}{rc@{}c}
& \multicolumn{2}{l}{\, \, \, x} \vspace*{0.12cm} \\
\cline{2-3}
\multicolumn{1}{r}{1-\frac{x^2}{2}+\frac{x^4}{4!}-\frac{x^6}{6!}+\dotsb \hspace*{-4.8pt}} & \multicolumn{1}{l}{ \hspace*{-5.6pt} \Big) \hspace*{4.6pt} x-\frac{x^3}{2}+\frac{x^5}{24}+\dotsb} \\
& \multicolumn{2}{l}{\, \,\,\hspace{-18pt} -(x-\frac{x^3}{2}+\frac{x^5}{4!}+\dotsb}
\\
\vspace{1mm}
\cline{2-3}
\multicolumn{2}{1}{\,\,\,\hspace{150pt} 1/3 x^3+\dotsb} \\
\vspace{1mm}
\end{array}
[/tex]

I actually started using that method and got stuck after the (x^3)/3.

Ok, the arithmetic is a mess. I got the third one that way but wouldn't want to get any more that way. Here's the latex for fun:

[tex]
\begin{array}{rc@{}c}
& \multicolumn{2}{l}{\, \, \, x+1/3 x^3} \vspace*{0.12cm} \\
\cline{2-3}
& \multicolumn{2}{l}{\, \,\,\hspace{-12pt} -(x-\frac{x^3}{2}+\frac{x^5}{4!}+\dotsb}
\\
\vspace{1mm}
\cline{2-3}
\multicolumn{2}{1}{\,\,\,\hspace{180pt} 1/3 x^3-1/30 x^5+\frac{6}{7!} x^7+\dotsb}\vspace{1mm} \\
\multicolumn{2}{1}{\,\,\,\hspace{170pt} -(1/3 x^3-x^5/6+x^7/72+\dotsb} \\
\cline{2-3}\\
\multicolumn{2}{1}{\,\,\,\hspace{170pt} 2/15 x^5+\dotsb} \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

jackmell said:
Ok, the arithmetic is a mess. I got the third one that way but wouldn't want to get any more that way. Here's the latex for fun:

[tex]
\begin{array}{rc@{}c}
& \multicolumn{2}{l}{\, \, \, x+1/3 x^3} \vspace*{0.12cm} \\
\cline{2-3}
& \multicolumn{2}{l}{\, \,\,\hspace{-12pt} -(x-\frac{x^3}{2}+\frac{x^5}{4!}+\dotsb}
\\
\vspace{1mm}
\cline{2-3}
\multicolumn{2}{1}{\,\,\,\hspace{180pt} 1/3 x^3-1/30 x^5+\frac{6}{7!} x^7+\dotsb}\vspace{1mm} \\
\multicolumn{2}{1}{\,\,\,\hspace{170pt} -(1/3 x^3-x^5/6+x^7/72+\dotsb} \\
\cline{2-3}\\
\multicolumn{2}{1}{\,\,\,\hspace{170pt} 2/15 x^5+\dotsb} \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

I tried it and you are right, it is a mess. I think I am going to talk to my instructor on and see if I can use the other method. Thanks for your help!

turkcyclone said:
I think I am going to talk to my instructor on and see if I can use the other method.

Wait a minute dude. It ain't messy enough to do that. He may say, "auh, poor dawg, what, you can't handle a lil' bit of arithmetic?" I mean, it's only two more. :)

jackmell said:
Wait a minute dude. It ain't messy enough to do that. He may say, "auh, poor dawg, what, you can't handle a lil' bit of arithmetic?" I mean, it's only two more. :)

Haha, okay I will try it. We just started the Maclaurin Series and this was the first problem, so I was frustrated when I couldn't get it and the solutions manual did a TERRIBLE job explaining how to get it. But I did a couple of more and starting to get the hang of it, so I will go back and try it again. Thanks again though!

Related to Find the Maclaurin Series for tanx

1. What is a Maclaurin Series?

A Maclaurin Series is a type of power series representation of a function that is centered at x = 0. It is named after Scottish mathematician Colin Maclaurin and is a special case of a Taylor Series.

2. How is the Maclaurin Series of a function found?

The Maclaurin Series of a function is found by taking the derivatives of the function at x = 0 and using those values to create a power series representation. The formula for the Maclaurin Series is f(x) = f(0) + f'(0)x + f''(0)x^2/2! + f'''(0)x^3/3! + ... + f^(n)(0)x^n/n! where n is the number of derivatives taken.

3. What is the Maclaurin Series for tanx?

The Maclaurin Series for tanx is x + x^3/3 + 2x^5/15 + 17x^7/315 + ... + (2^(2n)(2^(2n)-1)B_(2n)x^(2n-1))/(2n)! + ... , where B_n represents the Bernoulli numbers.

4. Why is the Maclaurin Series for tanx useful?

The Maclaurin Series for tanx is useful because it provides an infinite polynomial approximation of the tangent function. This can be helpful in solving problems involving trigonometric functions and can also be used in numerical methods for approximating values of the tangent function.

5. How accurate is the Maclaurin Series for tanx?

The Maclaurin Series for tanx is accurate for values of x near 0, but as x gets farther from 0, the error in the approximation increases. The series converges for all real numbers, but may require a large number of terms to accurately represent the tangent function for values far from 0.