Find the magnitude of the acceleration of the two masses.

In summary, the problem involves an Atwood machine with two masses (16.4 kg and 2.9 kg) and a 0.43 m diameter pulley with a moment of inertia of 0.031 kg·m2. The objective is to find the magnitude of acceleration for the two masses, taking into account a constant friction torque of 0.18 N·m at the bearing. To solve this, the tensions of the string and the applied torque equation will need to be considered, along with Newton's laws for the tensions. The friction torque will also need to be represented in the calculations.
mparsons06

Homework Statement

An Atwood machine consists of two masses (16.4 kg and a 2.9 kg) strung over a 0.43 m diameter pulley whose moment of inertia is 0.031 kg·m2. If there is a constant friction torque of 0.18 N·m at the bearing, compute the magnitude of the acceleration of the two masses.

Can someone just tell me where to start please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure if there's more information than the needed in that problem, but first of all you should think for instance of the relation of the moment of inertia and torque.

[tex]\tau = I\alpha [/tex]

Maybe I wasn't explicit enough, but to begin with this problem you will first need to state the tension of the string (T=mg-ma). With that you will be able to find the 'applied torque' in terms of the acceleration:
[tex]\tau_a = (mg - ma)r[/tex]

And once you have this, you will be able to easily use the formula I wrote in the last post.

Note that:
[tex]\tau_a - \tau_f = \tau[/tex]

and:
[tex]\alpha = a/r[/tex].

Last edited:
Redsummers said:
Maybe I wasn't explicit enough, but to begin with this problem you will first need to state the tension of the string (T=mg-ma). With that you will be able to find the 'applied torque' in terms of the acceleration:
[tex]\tau_a = (mg - ma)r[/tex]

Is m the total mass of both masses?

mparsons06 said:
Is m the total mass of both masses?

Oh you're right! then you have to think also as there are two tensions, let me develop the corresponding equations: (T1, being from the heavier mass, m1)

[tex](T_1 - T_2)r - \tau_f = I\alpha[/tex]

and according to Newton's concerning the tensions:

[tex]m_1g - T_1 = m_1a[/tex]

[tex]m_2g - T_2 = m_2a[/tex]

Thus,

[tex](T_1 - T_2)r = I\alpha + \tau_f [/tex]

[tex](T_1 - T_2) = \frac{Ia}{r} + \tau_f[/tex]

[tex]T_1 - T_2 = \frac{Ia}{r} + \tau_f [/tex]

And now you would have to plug the tension equations stated above, and do the maths to get the acceleration.

Where does the part about "constant friction torque of 0.18 N·m at the bearing" come into play?

oh the constant friction torque is simply represented as
[tex]\tau_f[/tex]
It is, as the name represents the friction done by the pulley to the string.

1. What is the definition of acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of an object changes over time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of acceleration?

To calculate the magnitude of acceleration, you need to know the change in velocity and the time it took for that change to occur. The formula is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What are the two types of acceleration?

The two types of acceleration are linear acceleration and angular acceleration. Linear acceleration is the change in velocity in a straight line, while angular acceleration is the change in angular velocity (rotational speed).

4. How does the mass of an object affect its acceleration?

The mass of an object does not affect its acceleration directly. However, the force applied to an object and the acceleration are inversely proportional to the mass. This means that a larger mass will require a greater force to achieve the same acceleration as a smaller mass.

5. Can the acceleration of an object be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of an object can be negative. This indicates that the object is slowing down or changing direction in the opposite direction of its initial velocity. Negative acceleration is also known as deceleration or retardation.