Find the net thermal radiation

In summary, the cylinder's net thermal radiation transfer rate is 1.304 W at 28°C, but it transfers more heat when stretched to a radius of .0051 cm.
VitaX

Homework Statement

A solid cylinder of radius r1 = 2.5 cm, length h1 = 5.1 cm, emissivity 0.90, and temperature 28°C is suspended in an environment of temperature 46°C. (a) What is the cylinder's net thermal radiation transfer rate P1? (b) If the cylinder is stretched until its radius is r2 = 0.51 cm, its net thermal radiation transfer rate becomes P2. What is the ratio P2/P1?

Homework Equations

P = σεA(Tenv^4 - T^4)

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer to part A is correct. I got P = (5.67E-8)(.9)(.0119)(319^4 - 301^4) = 1.304 W

But my answer to part B is wrong apparently. I don't know what I did wrong. But the formula for Area of Solid Cylinder = 2*pi*r^2 + 2*pi*r*h

I used r1 = .025 m and h1 = .051 m for Area in part a. But in part B the only thing I changed was r2 = .0051 m to find the new area. Then got P2 and divided it by P1 to get the ratio. But it says part B is wrong. What exactly did I do wrong with the area in part b? Am I to assume h changes as well? My exact formula for part B Area is this: A = 2*pi*(.0051)^2 + 2*pi*(.0051)(.051) = .0018 m^2

Physics news on Phys.org
VitaX said:
But my answer to part B is wrong apparently. I don't know what I did wrong. But the formula for Area of Solid Cylinder = 2*pi*r^2 + 2*pi*r*h

I used r1 = .025 m and h1 = .051 m for Area in part a. But in part B the only thing I changed was r2 = .0051 m to find the new area.

If the cylinder was stretched, presumably it stretched in some direction...
Also presumably, the overall mass of the cylinder didn't change (it's still got the same amount of "stuff") so what does that say about the volume of the stretched cylinder?

gneill said:
If the cylinder was stretched, presumably it stretched in some direction...
Also presumably, the overall mass of the cylinder didn't change (it's still got the same amount of "stuff") so what does that say about the volume of the stretched cylinder?

So you are saying use V = pi*r^2*h to find the volume in part A. Then use that same volume and radius 2 in part B to find height 2. Then find the new area of part B using the new height and radius?

VitaX said:
So you are saying use V = pi*r^2*h to find the volume in part A. Then use that same volume and radius 2 in part B to find height 2. Then find the new area of part B using the new height and radius?

Sounds like a plan!

In order to find the net thermal radiation transfer rate in part B, you need to use the new values for the radius and length of the cylinder (r2 = 0.051 cm and h2 = 5.1 cm). This is because the cylinder has been stretched, so its dimensions have changed. Using the new values, the correct formula for the area would be A = 2*pi*(0.0051)^2 + 2*pi*(0.0051)(0.051) = 0.00018 m^2. Using this value for the area, you can then solve for P2 and find the ratio P2/P1.

1. What is net thermal radiation?

Net thermal radiation is the difference between the total amount of thermal radiation emitted by an object and the amount of thermal radiation it absorbs. It is a measure of the heat transfer between objects due to the emission, absorption, and reflection of thermal radiation.

2. How is net thermal radiation calculated?

Net thermal radiation can be calculated by subtracting the amount of thermal radiation absorbed by an object from the amount of thermal radiation emitted by the same object. This can be done using the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which relates the thermal radiation emitted by an object to its temperature and surface area.

3. What factors affect net thermal radiation?

The net thermal radiation between two objects is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the objects, the surface area of the objects, and the emissivity of the objects. Other factors such as the distance between the objects and the presence of any intervening materials can also impact net thermal radiation.

4. Why is net thermal radiation important?

Understanding net thermal radiation is important in many fields, including engineering, meteorology, and astrophysics. It helps us understand how heat is transferred between objects and can be used to design more efficient heating and cooling systems, predict weather patterns, and study the thermal properties of celestial bodies.

5. How can net thermal radiation be measured?

Net thermal radiation can be measured using specialized instruments such as thermal radiation sensors or pyrometers. These devices measure the amount of thermal radiation emitted by an object and can be used to calculate its net thermal radiation. In some cases, net thermal radiation can also be estimated using mathematical models and simulations.