1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the normal force on an inclined plane.

1. Dec 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the normal force acting on a mass of 5kg on an incline plane of 30 degrees.

2. Relevant equations
    Fn = mgsin30 or mgcos30 ?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure if I use sin or cos when finding the normal force on an incline. I have trouble visualizing the angle perpendicular to the plane and moving the angles around.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2011 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to Physics Forums.

If the surface makes an angle θ to the horizontal, then the normal makes the same angle θ from the vertical. Does that help your visualizing?

If it's still unclear, think about a horizontal surface, so that θ is zero, and answer these questions:

1. What is the normal force when the surface is horizontal? Draw a force diagram for yourself, if you need to, to figure this out.

2. Does your answer to (1) agree with mgsin0 or mgcos0?

Hope that helps!

4. Dec 19, 2011 #3
    It works with mgsin theta, but when i try to draw it out it doesn't make sense to me.

5. Dec 19, 2011 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook