Solving Military HW: Position & Speed at Time 0s

• Thread starter jimmy42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Position
In summary, in this conversation, the speaker is asking for assistance with a problem involving a military hardware system that has an amplitude of 23cm and a frequency of 55Hz. They are looking for the time when the system passes through 15cm and the position when the speed is 200ms^-1. They mention using trigonometry and the unit circle to solve the problem and also ask if SHM problems can be solved using the unit circle. They also express confusion about a specific equation and ask for clarification. The expert summarizer provides a solution using the equation x=Xsin(ωt+φ) and finding ω=346 rad/s and φ=0, X=23. They also suggest using standard trigon
jimmy42

Homework Statement

A system is testing some military HW which has an amplitude of 23cm and frequency of 55Hz. At time 0s it is at the origin.

Homework Equations

At what time does it pass through 15cm?
When the speed is 200ms^-1 what is the position?

The Attempt at a Solution

omega = (2pi) * 55 = 346 r^s-1
max V = 23 * 346 = 7958 -- is that right??

To find the time, do I need to use trigonometry and the unit circle? No clues about the second one. Can SHM problems be found with the unit circle? Do I need to only use the SHM equations?

Should I think SHM in terms of the unit circle or movement going only up and down and not in a circle at all?

I'm really stuck, thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have that x=Xsin(ωt+φ) and you found that ω=346 rad/s and φ=0, X=23.

Hence you have x = 23sin(346t).

So when x=15, you just need to use standard trigs.

siny=a ⇒ y=sin-1(a)

For the second one, velocity 'v' is related to 'x' by v = dx/dt.

Sorry, I don't get it.

What is a? I looked at that first equation but how do I find t from that?

Thanks,

Jim.

jimmy42 said:
Sorry, I don't get it.

What is a? I looked at that first equation but how do I find t from that?

Thanks,

Jim.

x = 23sin(346t).

then you have 15=23sin(346t). Make sin(346t) the subject and then take the inverse sine of that.

I would first clarify some information about the system being tested. Is the military HW undergoing simple harmonic motion (SHM) or is it a different type of motion? If it is SHM, then the equations and concepts of SHM can be applied to solve this problem.

To find the time at which the HW passes through 15cm, we can use the equation for displacement in SHM: x(t) = A*cos(omega*t), where A is the amplitude and omega is the angular frequency. Plugging in the given values, we get 15 = 23*cos(346*t). Solving for t, we get t = 0.0027 seconds. Therefore, the HW passes through 15cm at 0.0027 seconds.

To find the position when the speed is 200ms^-1, we can use the equation for velocity in SHM: v(t) = -omega*A*sin(omega*t). Plugging in the given values, we get 200 = -346*23*sin(346*t). Solving for t, we get t = 0.0027 seconds. Therefore, the position when the speed is 200ms^-1 is 23cm.

In SHM, the movement can be thought of as a point moving in a circle, but the motion is only in one dimension (along the x-axis in this case). The unit circle can be used to understand the trigonometric functions involved in SHM, but it is not necessary to solve this problem.

Overall, the key concepts to keep in mind when solving this problem are the equations for displacement and velocity in SHM and the relationships between amplitude, frequency, and angular frequency.

FAQ: Solving Military HW: Position & Speed at Time 0s

1. What is the purpose of solving military HW for position and speed at time 0s?

Solving military HW for position and speed at time 0s is important for accurately tracking and predicting the movements of military equipment and personnel. This information is crucial for planning military operations and ensuring the safety and success of missions.

2. How is position and speed at time 0s calculated for military HW?

Position and speed at time 0s can be calculated using various methods, including GPS technology, radar systems, and mathematical equations. These methods take into account factors such as the initial position and velocity of the object, as well as external forces such as wind or gravity.

3. What are some common challenges in solving military HW for position and speed at time 0s?

Some common challenges in solving military HW for position and speed at time 0s include limited access to accurate data, unpredictable weather conditions, and the constantly changing nature of military operations. Additionally, the use of advanced technology and equipment can also present challenges in accurately calculating and interpreting the data.

4. How does solving military HW for position and speed at time 0s benefit military operations?

By accurately determining the position and speed of military equipment and personnel at time 0s, military operations can be planned and executed more efficiently and effectively. This information can also be used to identify potential risks and make strategic decisions to ensure the success of missions.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving military HW for position and speed at time 0s?

Solving military HW for position and speed at time 0s has a wide range of applications in the military, including tracking and guiding missiles and other weapons, monitoring the movements of enemy forces, and coordinating the deployment of troops and equipment. It is also used in disaster relief efforts and search and rescue operations.

Back