Find the range of this expression

In summary, when |z| = 1 and |ω-1| = 1, the range of |2z-1|^2 + |2ω-1|^2 is [2, 18]. This is found by manipulating the given equations and finding the maximum and minimum values of Re(z) and Re(ω). The ambiguity in the original question caused some confusion, but a correct solution was eventually reached.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

If |z|=1 and |ω-1|=1, where z, ω [itex]\in[/itex] C, then find the range of [itex] |2z-1|^{2}+|2ω-1|^{2}.[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since |ω-1|=1
Squaring both sides and simplifying
[itex] |ω|^{2}=ω+\overline{ω}[/itex]

Also simplifying the expression given in the question
[itex]6-2(z+\overline{z})-2(ω+\overline{ω})+4|ω|^{2}[/itex]
[itex]6-2(z+\overline{z})+2(ω+\overline{ω})[/itex]
Since [itex](ω+\overline{ω})=-1[/itex]
[itex]4-2(z+\overline{z})[/itex]
Since [itex](z+\overline{z}) = 2Re(z)[/itex]
Now the expression reduces to

[itex] \large 4 \left\{ 1-Re(z) \right\} [/itex]

Since |z|=1
∴Locus of z will be a circle with centre at origin and unit radius. So the max Re(z) can be 1 and min Re(z) can be -1. Substituting these in my expression for max and min I get [0,8] but the answer is [2,18]. :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you deduce that
utkarshakash said:
Since [itex](w+\overline{w}) = -1[/itex]
?

Sourabh N said:
How did you deduce that

?

Since ω is a cube root of unity therefore [itex]\overline{ω}[/itex] will be [itex]
ω^{2}[/itex]

[itex] ω = \frac{-1}{2} + \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}i and \overline{ω}=\frac{-1}{2} - \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}i[/itex]

Adding two I get [itex]ω+\overline{ω}=-1[/itex]

utkarshakash said:
Since ω is a cube root of unity therefore [itex]\overline{ω}[/itex] will be [itex]
ω^{2}[/itex]

[itex] ω = \frac{-1}{2} + \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}i and \overline{ω}=\frac{-1}{2} - \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}i[/itex]

Adding two I get [itex]ω+\overline{ω}=-1[/itex]

Cube root of unity?? But the definition of ω you have in your original question doesn't comply with this.

I think you're confusing the variable ω used in this question with the standard notation used for cube root of unity. For present question, ω has nothing to do with cube root of unity.

Sourabh N said:
Cube root of unity?? But the definition of ω you have in your original question doesn't comply with this.

I think you're confusing the variable ω used in this question with the standard notation used for cube root of unity. For present question, ω has nothing to do with cube root of unity.

OK, I understand you. So correcting my mistake I am left with this

[itex] 6+2(ω+\overline{ω})-2(z+\overline{z}) [/itex]

which reduces to
6+4Re(ω)+4Re(z)

Now what to do??

Now you have to find the maximum and minimum of Re(ω) and Re(z). In your first post, you have done so for Re(z), you can do the same for Re(ω).

Sourabh N said:
Now you have to find the maximum and minimum of Re(ω) and Re(z). In your first post, you have done so for Re(z), you can do the same for Re(ω).

Hey thanks. At last I got my answer. The complication arised only because of ambiguity in the question.

Very good. :smile:

What does "Find the range of this expression" mean?

"Find the range of this expression" means to determine the set of all possible output values that can be obtained by evaluating the given mathematical expression.

How do I find the range of an expression?

To find the range of an expression, you can substitute different input values and calculate the corresponding output values. Then, the range will be the set of all unique output values obtained.

Why is finding the range of an expression important?

Finding the range of an expression is important because it helps to understand the behavior and limitations of the given mathematical expression. It also allows for the identification of possible errors or inconsistencies in the expression.

Does the range of an expression have a limit?

The range of an expression may or may not have a limit, depending on the nature of the expression. Some expressions may have a finite range, while others may have an infinite range.

Can the range of an expression be negative?

Yes, the range of an expression can include negative values. It is important to evaluate all possible input values to determine the full range of an expression, which may include positive, negative, or zero values.