1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the ratio of mass spring, oscillation problem

1. Apr 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two identical springs have attached mass M1 on the one and mass m2 on the other. We found that the psrings with mass m1 osciallates with a 2/5 frequency of the other spring.. Find the ratio of the mass of spring B to that of spring A ( M2/M1)

Can someone work this out, so i can learn how to do it, because i dont get which equations to use to get a M2/M1 ratio, i know one for frequency F2/F1 , but not this

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What have you tried?

4. Apr 11, 2008 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi th3plan! :smile:

Well, what equations do you know?

Tell us, and we'll tell you which one to use! :smile:

5. Apr 11, 2008 #4
    What is frequency?
    What is the magnitude of spring force?

6. Apr 11, 2008 #5
    this is a simple harmonic problem, u dont need to know frequency or magnitude, because your just deriving an equation from it i believe, with the use of other equations

7. Apr 11, 2008 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

For the simple harmonic motion of a mass on a spring, how are frequency, mass, and spring constant related? Once you have that basic formula, set up a ratio.

8. Apr 11, 2008 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So what have you tried? Nobody here will work this out for you since its not the policy of this forum to do your homework, but to help you with it.

See this page, it may help:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/shm.html

9. Apr 11, 2008 #8
    Of course i dont want you to do my homework. I dont learn anything .

This is what i would think to do. I know frequency is 2/5, so to use equation

F=1/2pi [tex]\sqrt{k/m}[/tex]

10. Apr 11, 2008 #9

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's all you need. Now plug in [itex]f_1, m_1[/itex] and compare with [itex]f_2, m_2[/itex].

11. Apr 11, 2008 #10
    yes that what i was thinking to do :), just wanted to be sure

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?