What is the spring constant in terms of mass and unstretched length?

In summary, the mass does not make a circular path because the spring is oscillating. The spring constant is (m(g+a))/Δs.
cosmo1993

Homework Statement

A mass m is connected to a spring with unstretched length L. You hold on to one end of the spring and swing the mass around. You practice getting the mass going until the spring just goes slack at the top of the path. At the bottom of the path. the spring stretches by an amount equal to half of its unstretched length.
Why doesn't the mass make a circular path?
Find the spring constant k of the spring

Homework Equations

F = -kΔs
at the bottom of the circle
Normal force = mg + ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that the mass does not make a circular path because the spring is oscillating as it travels around the circle, therefore, the path of the mass is more egg shaped.

I said that K = (m(g+a))/Δs would be the spring constant but I am not sure if I am correct. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, that's not correct. What's ##a##? What's ##\Delta s##? What about ##L##? You haven't expressed ##k## in terms of known quantities.

By the way, there is no normal force. A normal force is a force exerted by a surface in contact with an object. The mass isn't in contact with any surface, so there can be no normal force.

Start by drawing a free-body diagram for the mass at the top of the path and at the bottom of the path.

cosmo1993 said:

Homework Statement

A mass m is connected to a spring with unstretched length L. You hold on to one end of the spring and swing the mass around. You practice getting the mass going until the spring just goes slack at the top of the path. At the bottom of the path. the spring stretches by an amount equal to half of its unstretched length.
Why doesn't the mass make a circular path?
Find the spring constant k of the spring

Homework Equations

F = -kΔs
at the bottom of the circle
Normal force = mg + ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that the mass does not make a circular path because the spring is oscillating as it travels around the circle, therefore, the path of the mass is more egg shaped.

I said that K = (m(g+a))/Δs would be the spring constant but I am not sure if I am correct. Any help?

You need to give the spring constant in terms of L and m. What is a and what is its direction?

You are right, the mass does not follow a circular path. What forces act on it at the highest and at the lowest points?

At these points, you can consider the path as piece of some circle. There must be some force pointing towards the centre to make the path. How those forces are related to the speed and the distance from the centre?

You can also assume conservation of energy.

ehild

What is a spring constant?

A spring constant, also known as a force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by one unit of length.

How do you find the spring constant of a spring?

The spring constant can be found by dividing the force applied to the spring by the distance the spring is stretched or compressed. This can be represented by the equation k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the change in length of the spring.

What units is the spring constant measured in?

The spring constant is typically measured in units of newtons per meter (N/m) in the metric system and pounds per inch (lb/in) in the imperial system.

Why is finding the spring constant important?

The spring constant is an important factor in understanding the behavior of springs in various systems. It allows scientists to calculate the force exerted by a spring at different lengths and determine the equilibrium position of the spring.

Can the spring constant change?

The spring constant is a characteristic property of a spring and remains constant as long as the spring itself does not change. However, if the spring is stretched beyond its elastic limit or is damaged, its spring constant may change.