Find the stable equilibrium points

In summary, the conversation covers finding stable equilibrium points for a particle moving over a sphere subject to gravitational forces and an additional "dynamic" V(x,y,z)=x+y. The method of Lagrange multipliers is used to find the possible extrema and the solution yields two equilibrium points, one of which is stable. The conversation also touches on the concept of a gravity field and the form of the force of gravity. The term "dynamic" is discussed and its relation to potential energy is mentioned.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

Let a particle be forced to move over the sphere $x^2+y^2+z^2=1$, that is subject to gravitational forces while also to an additional "dynamic" $V(x,y,z)=x+y$. Find the stable equilibrium points , if they exist.I have found a similar example:

Let $\vec{F}$ be the gravity field near the surface of the earth, i.e. let $\vec{F}=(F_x, F_y, F_z)$ where $F_x=0, F_y=0$ and $F_z=-mg$, where $g$ is the acceleration du to the gravity. Which are the equilibrium points, if a point particle of mass $m$ is restricted to the sphere $\phi(x,y,z)=x^2+y^2+z^2-r^2=0(r>0)$ ? Which of these are stable?

The solution is the following:We notice that $\vec{F}$ is a gradient field with "dynamic" $V=mgz$. Using the method of Lagrange multipliers to get the possible extrema , we have the equations

$$\nabla V= \lambda \nabla \phi \\ \phi=0$$

or equivalently$$0=2 \lambda x \\ 0= 2 \lambda y \\mg=2 \lambda z \\ x^2+y^2+z^2-r^2=0$$

The solution of the system of equations is $x=0, y=0, z = \pm r, \lambda= \pm \frac{mg}{2r}$.

From a theorem we get that $P_1=(0,0,-r)$ and $P_2=(0,0,r)$ are equilibrium points. Checking $V=mgz$ we get that $P_1$ is stable, but $P_2$ isn't.Do we consider also in our case a gravity field $\vec{F}$ ? If so what will this represent? (Sweating)If so then $\vec{F}=-\nabla V=-(1,1,0)$, right?

Then using the method of Lagrange multipliers we get the following extrema:

$$\left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right), \left( -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}, -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right)$$Right?

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

Let a particle be forced to move over the sphere $x^2+y^2+z^2=1$, that is subject to gravitational forces while also to an additional "dynamic" $V(x,y,z)=x+y$. Find the stable equilibrium points , if they exist.I have found a similar example:

Let $\vec{F}$ be the gravity field near the surface of the earth, i.e. let $\vec{F}=(F_x, F_y, F_z)$ where $F_x=0, F_y=0$ and $F_z=-mg$, where $g$ is the acceleration du to the gravity. Which are the equilibrium points, if a point particle of mass $m$ is restricted to the sphere $\phi(x,y,z)=x^2+y^2+z^2-r^2=0(r>0)$ ? Which of these are stable?

The solution is the following:We notice that $\vec{F}$ is a gradient field with "dynamic" $V=mgz$. Using the method of Lagrange multipliers to get the possible extrema , we have the equations

$$\nabla V= \lambda \nabla \phi \\ \phi=0$$

or equivalently$$0=2 \lambda x \\ 0= 2 \lambda y \\mg=2 \lambda z \\ x^2+y^2+z^2-r^2=0$$

The solution of the system of equations is $x=0, y=0, z = \pm r, \lambda= \pm \frac{mg}{2r}$.

From a theorem we get that $P_1=(0,0,-r)$ and $P_2=(0,0,r)$ are equilibrium points. Checking $V=mgz$ we get that $P_1$ is stable, but $P_2$ isn't.Do we consider also in our case a gravity field $\vec{F}$ ? If so what will this represent? (Sweating)If so then $\vec{F}=-\nabla V=-(1,1,0)$, right?

Then using the method of Lagrange multipliers we get the following extrema:

$$\left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right), \left( -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}, -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right)$$Right?

Hey evinda! (Smile)

It says that $V$ is additional to the force of gravity.
I interpret that to mean that we have the dynamic $V=x+y$ and additionally $V_g=mgz$.
In physics those correspond to contributions to the potential $V_{tot}$ of the particle, which is then:
$$V_{tot} = V + V_g = x + y + mgz$$
Or alternatively:
$$\vec F_{tot} = -\nabla V_{tot} = - \nabla V + \vec F_g = (-1,-1,-mg)$$

Applying the Lagrange multipliers, we then get:
$$\nabla V_{tot} = \lambda (x^2+y^2+z^2-1) \\ x^2+y^2+z^2-1 = 0$$
(Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Hey evinda! (Smile)

It says that $V$ is additional to the force of gravity.
I interpret that to mean that we have the dynamic $V=x+y$ and additionally $V_g=mgz$.
In physics those correspond to contributions to the potential $V_{tot}$ of the particle, which is then:
$$V_{tot} = V + V_g = x + y + mgz$$
Or alternatively:
$$\vec F_{tot} = -\nabla V_{tot} = - \nabla V + \vec F = (-1,-1,-mg)$$

What is $\vec{F}$ in this case?
Is $V_g$ always in the form $V_g=mgz$? If so, why?

evinda said:
What is $\vec{F}$ in this case?
Is $V_g$ always in the form $V_g=mgz$? If so, why?

That should be $\vec F_g$, which represents the gravitational force.

The actual form of the gravitational force is:
$$\vec F_g = -\frac{GMm}{r^2}\mathbf{\hat r}$$
where $r$ is the distance of a particle with mass $m$ to another mass $M$.
Close to the surface of the earth, it is usually approximated as:
$$\vec F_g = -mg\mathbf{\hat z}$$
as it is in your example. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
That should be $\vec F_g$, which represents the gravitational force.

$\vec F_g$ is the force of gravity that is exerted to the particle?

I like Serena said:
The actual form of the gravitational force is:
$$\vec F_g = -\frac{GMm}{r^2}\mathbf{\hat r}$$
where $r$ is the distance of a particle with mass $m$ to another mass $M$.
Close to the surface of the earth, it is usually approximated as:
$$\vec F_g = -mg\mathbf{\hat z}$$
as it is in your example. (Thinking)

So this is known, right?Also what does $V_{tot}$ represent? What is meant with dynamic?

evinda said:
$\vec F_g$ is the force of gravity that is exerted to the particle?

So this is known, right?

Also what does $V_{tot}$ represent? What is meant with dynamic?

Yes and yes.

I don't know what is meant with dynamic. That's what you came up with.
For me it is the potential energy or the energy in a conservative field of a particle. (Nerd)

Hmm... doesn't the word dynamic come from δύναμις, which (also) means energy? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Yes and yes.

I don't know what is meant with dynamic. That's what you came up with.
For me it is the potential energy or the energy in a conservative field of a particle. (Nerd)

Hmm... doesn't the word dynamic come from δύναμις, which (also) means energy? (Wondering)

δύναμις means force.

evinda said:
δύναμις means force.

Okay, so the derivative of this 'dynamic' is δύναμις. (Angel)

I like Serena said:
Okay, so the derivative of this 'dynamic' is δύναμις. (Angel)

Yes, right. (Bigsmile)

1. What is a stable equilibrium point?

A stable equilibrium point is a point in a system where the forces acting on it are balanced and any small disturbances will cause the system to return back to the equilibrium point. In other words, the system is in a state of rest and will remain that way unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How do you find stable equilibrium points?

To find stable equilibrium points, you need to analyze the forces acting on the system and determine when they are in balance. This can be done by setting the equations of motion equal to zero and solving for the variables that will result in a balanced system.

3. What are some real-life examples of stable equilibrium points?

There are many examples of stable equilibrium points in everyday life. A simple example is a pendulum at rest, where the weight of the pendulum is balanced by the tension in the string. Another example is a ball at the bottom of a bowl, where gravity and the shape of the bowl create a stable equilibrium point.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the stability of equilibrium points?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the stability of equilibrium points. These include the strength and direction of the forces acting on the system, the shape and mass distribution of the system, and any external disturbances or forces.

5. How can stable equilibrium points be used in engineering and design?

Stable equilibrium points are important in engineering and design as they allow for the creation of stable and balanced systems. By understanding and analyzing the equilibrium points of a system, engineers can design structures, machines, and devices that will remain stable and functional under various conditions and forces.