1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the sum of first 28 terms?

1. Aug 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    sum of first 11 terms of Ap is 17 and sum of first 17 terms is 11
    find the sum of first 28 terms?

2. Relevant equations

Sum=n/2[2a+(n-1)d]

3. The attempt at a solution
    i tried solving it by using obove formula but i am not able to do so as the value of d is coming in fraction

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Re: AP,Gp,Mean

Just sub in the information and get the values for 'a' and 'd' via solving the equations simultaneously.

4. Aug 13, 2010 #3

i tried but after soving the equations, value of d is coming in fraction.and the common difference cannot be a fraction number

5. Aug 13, 2010 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

and why not?

6. Aug 20, 2010 #5

Yes, why cannot the common difference be a fraction? Are 1, 1.25, 1.5, 1.75, 2 not n AP?

Hey Niraj, keep posting your dobts on PF here, we need a lot of warming up to do!

7. Aug 20, 2010 #6

statdad

Homework Helper

The common difference can be a whole number, fraction, irrational number, as well as positive or negative. Finding a fraction most certainly is not an indication of an error on your part.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook