Find The Sum Of The Convergent Series

In summary, the conversation is about finding the nth partial sum for the series \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^2-1}. After using partial fraction decomposition, it is discovered that the series is a telescoping series. The conversation then focuses on finding the pattern for the nth partial sum, with the solution from the textbook being referenced. The confusion lies in how the simplified nth partial sum formula includes 1/n.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

[itex]\sum_{n=2}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^2-1}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

After doing partial fraction decomposition, I discovered that it was a telescoping series of some sort; the partial sum being 1/2[ (1 -1/3) + (1/2 - 1/4) + (1/3 - 1/4) +...] The only thing I can't do is see the pattern to make a nth partial sum. How would I go about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Write out the first few partial sums explicitly. Four or five is probably enough to see how the cancellations work out and which terms are going to stick around.

Well, I can see that the 1 and 1/2 would have nothing to cancel out with; but what I can truly see doesn't go beyond that.

What specifically is confusing you? Frankly, I don't see how you can not see the pattern after writing out the first handful of partial sums.

I attached the solution from the text-book. I don't understand how they get 1/n in the simplified nth partial sum formula.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 446

1. What is a convergent series?

A convergent series is a sequence of numbers where the sum of all the terms approaches a finite limit as the number of terms increases.

2. How do you find the sum of a convergent series?

To find the sum of a convergent series, you can use the formula S = a / (1-r), where S is the sum, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio between each term.

3. Can every series be convergent?

No, not every series can be convergent. A series is considered convergent if the sum of its terms approaches a finite limit. If the terms of a series continue to increase or do not approach a limit, then the series is considered divergent.

4. How do you determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

There are several tests that can be used to determine if a series is convergent or divergent, such as the ratio test, the comparison test, and the integral test. These tests involve evaluating the terms of the series and comparing them to known convergent or divergent series.

5. Why is finding the sum of a convergent series important?

Finding the sum of a convergent series is important in many areas of mathematics, such as in calculus, where it is used to find the limit of a function. It is also used in physics and engineering to model real-world situations and make predictions based on patterns in data.