1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find The Sum Of The Convergent Series

1. Oct 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [itex]\sum_{n=2}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^2-1}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    After doing partial fraction decomposition, I discovered that it was a telescoping series of some sort; the partial sum being 1/2[ (1 -1/3) + (1/2 - 1/4) + (1/3 - 1/4) +....] The only thing I can't do is see the pattern to make a nth partial sum. How would I go about this?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Write out the first few partial sums explicitly. Four or five is probably enough to see how the cancellations work out and which terms are going to stick around.

4. Oct 4, 2012 #3
    Well, I can see that the 1 and 1/2 would have nothing to cancel out with; but what I can truly see doesn't go beyond that.

5. Oct 4, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What specifically is confusing you? Frankly, I don't see how you can not see the pattern after writing out the first handful of partial sums.

6. Oct 4, 2012 #5
    I attached the solution from the text-book. I don't understand how they get 1/n in the simplified nth partial sum formula.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook