Summing Up a Non-Geometric Series: Is It Possible?

• Thread starter RadiationX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series Sum
In summary, the given series is not geometric, but it can be simplified by grouping terms and factoring out common factors. The final sum can then be computed using the formula for geometric series.
RadiationX
I need to find the sum of:

[tex]\sum_{n=2}^\infty\frac{50(-2)^{n-1}3^{n+2}}{7^n}[/tex]

the only series that we've been taught to add up is geometric. the above series is not geometric,is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
RadiationX said:
I need to find the sum of:

the only series that we've been taught to add up is geometric. the above series is not geometric,is it?

Whatever it is, it has been disquised. Try gouping all the terms you can together to the power n, and reduce everything else and see what you get.

is [tex]\frac{-8100}{91}[/tex] correct?

RadiationX said:
is [tex]\frac{-8100}{91}[/tex] correct?

Looks OK to me

how would you compute this series by hand? i did this on a calculator. I don't see how i can combine the exponents given that they have different bases

RadiationX said:
how would you compute this series by hand? i did this on a calculator. I don't see how i can combine the exponents given that they have different bases

[tex]\frac{50 \bullet 9}{-2}\sum_{n=2}^\infty\frac{(-2)^{n}3^{n}}{7^n}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{50 \bullet 9}{-2}\sum_{n=2}^\infty\left(\frac{-6}{7}\right)^n[/tex]

[tex]\frac{50 \bullet 9}{-2}\left(\frac{-6}{7}\right)^2\sum_{n=0}^\infty\left(\frac{-6}{7}\right)^n[/tex]

[tex]\frac{-50 \bullet 27}{49}\sum_{n=0}^\infty\left(\frac{-6}{7}\right)^n[/tex]

If you have learned to do geometric sums, you can finish it. If you don't see how I changed the sum from n = 2 to n = 0, write out the first few terms of the sum to see how you can factor out the squared term.

beautiful. thank you!

1. What does "Find the sum of the series" mean?

"Find the sum of the series" refers to the process of adding up all the terms in a given series to determine a single value.

2. How do you find the sum of a series?

To find the sum of a series, you must first identify the pattern or rule governing the series. Then, you can use various mathematical techniques such as algebraic manipulation or geometric properties to find the sum.

3. What is the formula for finding the sum of a series?

The formula for finding the sum of a series depends on the type of series. For example, the formula for finding the sum of an arithmetic series is Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an), where n is the number of terms, a1 is the first term, and an is the last term. It is important to identify the type of series before using a formula to find the sum.

4. Can the sum of a series be negative?

Yes, the sum of a series can be negative if the terms in the series alternate between positive and negative values. In fact, the sum of a series can be any real number, positive or negative.

5. Why is finding the sum of a series important?

Finding the sum of a series is important because it allows us to determine the total value of an infinite or finite sequence of numbers. This can have practical applications in various fields, such as finance, physics, and computer science.