1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the sum of the series

1. May 16, 2005 #1
    I need to find the sum of:

[tex]\sum_{n=2}^\infty\frac{50(-2)^{n-1}3^{n+2}}{7^n}[/tex]

the only series that we've been taught to add up is geometric. the above series is not geometric,is it?

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Whatever it is, it has been disquised. Try gouping all the terms you can together to the power n, and reduce everything else and see what you get.

4. May 16, 2005 #3
    is [tex]\frac{-8100}{91}[/tex] correct?

5. May 16, 2005 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks OK to me

6. May 17, 2005 #5
    how would you compute this series by hand? i did this on a calculator. I don't see how i can combine the exponents given that they have different bases

7. May 17, 2005 #6

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]\sum_{n=2}^\infty\frac{50(-2)^{n-1}3^{n+2}}{7^n}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{50 \bullet 9}{-2}\sum_{n=2}^\infty\frac{(-2)^{n}3^{n}}{7^n}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{50 \bullet 9}{-2}\sum_{n=2}^\infty\left(\frac{-6}{7}\right)^n[/tex]

[tex]\frac{50 \bullet 9}{-2}\left(\frac{-6}{7}\right)^2\sum_{n=0}^\infty\left(\frac{-6}{7}\right)^n[/tex]

[tex]\frac{-50 \bullet 27}{49}\sum_{n=0}^\infty\left(\frac{-6}{7}\right)^n[/tex]

If you have learned to do geometric sums, you can finish it. If you don't see how I changed the sum from n = 2 to n = 0, write out the first few terms of the sum to see how you can factor out the squared term.

8. May 17, 2005 #7
    beautiful. thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?