1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the volume of the region

1. May 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the volume of the solid generated by the revolution of the region enclosed by y=x^2+2, y=2x+1 and the y-axis about the line y=3

2. Relevant equations
    Disk/Washer method, shell method

3. The attempt at a solution
    This one is stumping me no matter how I go about it. What I have done so far is use the disk/washer method by inputting x+3 in for f(x) and x^2-2x+1 (obtained from subtracting the two functions given) in for g(x):
    V=pi[tex]\int[/tex]((x+3)^2-(x^2-2x+1)^2)dx over [0,1]. I think that because of the location of the region on a graph, however, the x+3 might become x+2, and that I might have made a mistake in the way I set the formula up, but I do not know if/where I made this mistake. If anyone can point me in the right direction and point out any mistakes I made in setting up this question it would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What you want for your typical volume element is this:
    [tex]\Delta V = \pi [(2x + 1 - 3)^2 - (x^2 + 2 - 3)^2]\Delta x[/tex]
    Simplify that a bit, and integrate between 0 and 1, and you should be good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook