Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the volume of a solid obtained by rotating a region bounded by two curves about the x-axis. The participants also discussed a sketch of the region, solid, and a typical disk or washer. The solution was deemed to be correct and a sketch was provided for additional intuition. The location of the solid on the function was also questioned.
phillyolly

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line. Sketch the region, the solid, and a typical disk or washer. About x axis.
1)
y=1-x2
y=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I sketched a curve and a region. A typical disk and a solid? And please check the solution?

Attachments

• answer.jpg
    answer.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 597
Physics news on Phys.org
Everything looks good. Good job!

I drew a little sketch to give you some extra intuition on solids of revolution.

See figure.

Attachments

• sori.JPG
    sori.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 581
That's great, thank you! I will try now to solve both of the problems. Let's see what happens.

Hey, where is the solid located on the function?

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid obtained by rotating a region?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid obtained by rotating a region is V = ∫(A(x))^2dx, where A(x) represents the cross-sectional area of the region at a given point along the axis of rotation.

2. How do I determine the limits of integration for finding the volume?

The limits of integration can be determined by identifying the x-values at which the region starts and ends. These x-values will be used as the lower and upper limits of the integral.

3. Can the region be rotated around any axis?

Yes, the region can be rotated around any axis. However, the formula for finding the volume may vary depending on the axis of rotation. For example, rotating around the x-axis would use the formula V = ∫(A(y))^2dy, while rotating around the y-axis would use V = ∫(A(x))^2dx.

4. What is the difference between solid of revolution and solid of known cross-sections?

A solid of revolution is obtained by rotating a region around an axis, resulting in a three-dimensional object with a circular cross-section. A solid of known cross-sections, on the other hand, is obtained by stacking or combining cross-sectional areas of a region, resulting in a three-dimensional object with non-circular cross-sections.

5. Can I use calculus to find the volume of a solid that is not a perfect geometric shape?

Yes, calculus can be used to find the volume of a solid that is not a perfect geometric shape. This is done by breaking the solid down into smaller, simpler shapes and using integration to sum up their volumes. This method is known as the method of "slicing" and is commonly used for irregular or complex shapes.