Find time given initial velocity, distance and acceleration.

In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of a coyote falling with a parachute while holding an anvil. The anvil is dropped at a height of 50m and the questions ask for the time it takes for the anvil to hit the ground and the velocity of the anvil right before impact. Using the equation X = Xo + V0T + 1/2AT^2 and the given value of gravity (g = 9.8 m/s^2), the correct time for the anvil to hit the ground is calculated to be 2.33 seconds. However, when calculating the velocity using V = Vo + AT, the correct answer of -32.9 m/s (negative because the anvil
physicN00Bz

Homework Statement

Coyote falling down with a parachute holding an anvil at 10m/s. At 50m he drops the anvil.

A) How long does it take for the anvil to hit the ground?
B) what is the velocity of the anvil right before it hits the ground?

Homework Equations

X= Xo + V0T+1/2A(T^2)

g= 9.8 m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

50m = 10m/sT + 4.9m/s^2T^2

i use the quadratic equation and got t= 1.14 and -2.143

however i know this is wrong since i can not get a negative second and it seen like the "s" cancel out and you got T = a number without second.

also i know the answer is 2.33 s for (A) but want to know how to get that answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like you've done everything correctly except solving the quadratic. I get 2.333 and -4.37381 for my solutions. Or at least my calculator does...

Bhumble said:
Seems like you've done everything correctly except solving the quadratic. I get 2.333 and -4.37381 for my solutions. Or at least my calculator does...

yeah i actually re did the quadratic i also got 2.33 and -4.373

ok for

B) what is the velocity of the anvil right before it hits the ground?

i use V = Vo + AT and got V= 10m/s + 9.8 m/s^2(2.33s) got V =32.9 m/s

However the answer is in negative (as in -32.9 m/s) what did i do wrong to miss the negative sign?

To solve for the time it takes for the anvil to hit the ground, we can use the formula X = Xo + V0T + 1/2AT^2, where X is the final position (50m), Xo is the initial position (0m), V0 is the initial velocity (10m/s), and A is the acceleration (9.8m/s^2).

Substituting in the given values, we get:

50m = 0m + (10m/s)T + 1/2(9.8m/s^2)T^2

Rearranging and simplifying, we get:

4.9T^2 + 10T - 50 = 0

Using the quadratic formula, we get two possible solutions for T:

T = (-10 ± √(10^2 - 4(4.9)(-50)))/(2(4.9))

T = (-10 ± √(100 + 980))/9.8

T = (-10 ± √(1080))/9.8

T ≈ (-10 ± 32.91)/9.8

T ≈ -3.3 or 2.33

Since time cannot be negative, we can discard the negative solution and conclude that it takes approximately 2.33 seconds for the anvil to hit the ground.

To find the velocity of the anvil right before it hits the ground, we can use the formula V = V0 + AT, where V is the final velocity, V0 is the initial velocity, A is the acceleration, and T is the time.

Substituting in the known values, we get:

V = 10m/s + (9.8m/s^2)(2.33s)

V ≈ 10m/s + 22.83m/s

V ≈ 32.83m/s

Therefore, the velocity of the anvil right before it hits the ground is approximately 32.83m/s.

Related to Find time given initial velocity, distance and acceleration.

1. What is the formula for finding time given initial velocity, distance, and acceleration?

The formula for finding time given initial velocity, distance, and acceleration is t = (v - u) / a, where t is time, v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, and a is acceleration.

2. How do I know which units to use in the formula?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to use consistent units in the formula. The units for initial velocity and final velocity should be the same, and the units for distance and acceleration should also be the same. Common units include meters (m) and seconds (s) for distance and time, and meters per second (m/s) for velocity and meters per second squared (m/s^2) for acceleration.

3. Can I use this formula for any type of motion?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of motion where initial velocity, distance, and acceleration are known. This includes both linear and angular motion.

4. What if the initial velocity or acceleration is not given?

If the initial velocity or acceleration is not given, the formula can still be used by substituting a value of 0 for the missing variable. For example, if the initial velocity is not given, the formula becomes t = -u / a, where t is time and a is acceleration.

5. How can I use this formula to solve real-world problems?

This formula can be used to solve real-world problems such as calculating the time it takes for a car to reach a certain speed or the time it takes for a ball to fall from a certain height. By plugging in the known values for initial velocity, distance, and acceleration, the formula can provide an accurate estimate of the time taken for the motion to occur.