Find Trajectory from A to B: Approaches & Solutions

• I
  • Thread starter VladZH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trajectory
In summary, the problem at hand is finding the shortest trajectory for a spacecraft to travel from Point A to Body B with angular velocity ω, while also considering the presence of Body C with radius r. The approach mentioned is to use a simplified version of the problem without Body C, where a point P is introduced on a circle and the time for the spacecraft to reach it is calculated. However, the issue arises when trying to express the distance s in terms of angle φ. Considering the gravity of Body C, the idea is to use a force to push the spacecraft out of its straight line trajectory, with the optimal trajectory depending on the speeds of Body B and the spacecraft.
VladZH
Hello

Given:
Point A
Body B with angular velocity ω
C body with radius r
Spacecraft with constant velocity v.

We neglect the gravity of the bodies B, C

The problem:
Find the shortest trajectory for spacecraft from A to B

What approaches might be here?

How might the solution be changed if we consider the gravity of C and v would be initial velocity?

Attachments

• Trajectory (1).png
    Trajectory (1).png
    4.3 KB · Views: 345
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Thread reopened. @VladZH -- is this problem for schoolwork? Can you show us your ideas for approaches to use on this type of problem?

This is problem for my video game

I tried to solve a simpler problem when we don't have the body C.

Let P(r, φ) is a point on the circle. Let s between A and P. Hence, the time for spacecraft from A to B equals Δt=s/v
The time for body B to get P is Δt=Δφ/ω. We get d/v=Δφ/ω where φ=sω/v
Now we can find φ=φB + Δφ and direct the spacecraft towards P by a straight line.

But the problem here is to express s in terms of φ. If we substitute s by this formula we get φ with cosine and φ without cosine on different sides of equation
s = √rs2+rB2-2rsrBcos(φs-φ)
And I have no idea how to solve it

Then if we consider body C I thought about kind of force that pushes the spacecraft out of straight line trajectory. Moreover there are two possible trajectories near opposite sides of body C. The optimal one depends on speeds of body B and speed of the spacecraft

Thank you

1. How do I calculate the trajectory from point A to point B?

To calculate the trajectory from point A to point B, you will need to consider the initial position, velocity, and acceleration of the object. You can use equations of motion, such as Newton's laws, to determine the path and velocity of the object at any given point.

2. What are the different approaches for finding a trajectory?

There are several approaches for finding a trajectory, including using equations of motion, numerical methods, and computer simulations. Each approach has its advantages and limitations, so it is important to consider the specific situation and desired level of accuracy when choosing an approach.

3. How can I account for air resistance when finding a trajectory?

Air resistance can significantly affect the trajectory of an object. To account for this, you can use equations that include drag force, which is dependent on the velocity of the object. Additionally, you can use computer simulations that take into account the shape and density of the object and the properties of the surrounding air.

4. What factors can impact the accuracy of a calculated trajectory?

Several factors can impact the accuracy of a calculated trajectory, such as the initial conditions, the chosen approach, and the assumptions made in the calculations. Air resistance and other external forces can also affect the trajectory. It is important to carefully consider and account for these factors to achieve a more accurate result.

5. Can I use a single equation to find the trajectory from A to B for all objects?

No, different objects may have different mass, shape, and initial conditions, which will affect their trajectories. Therefore, a single equation cannot accurately predict the trajectory for all objects. It is important to consider the specific properties and conditions of the object in question when finding its trajectory.