Finding the Vertex of a Parabola: A Quick Guide

In summary, the vertex of the parabola y = (a-b)(a+b) is always at x = -b/(2a), regardless of the value of c. This can be seen by recognizing -b/2a as the x-coordinate of the vertex in the quadratic formula, and since c only affects the y-coordinate, the x-coordinate will remain the same.
jeetp26

Homework Statement

Find the vertex of the parabola y = (a-b)(a+b)

Homework Equations

x = -b/2a

The Attempt at a Solution

This question was extra credit on my Pre-Calc test today. I got the answer and it took almost a page to do it. But I'm very anxious and I just can't wait until i get my test back. Anyways, I thought if anyone out there would try it and see if i get the same answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
jeetp26 said:

Homework Statement

Find the vertex of the parabola y = (a-b)(a+b)

Homework Equations

x = -b/2a

The Attempt at a Solution

This question was extra credit on my Pre-Calc test today. I got the answer and it took almost a page to do it. But I'm very anxious and I just can't wait until i get my test back. Anyways, I thought if anyone out there would try it and see if i get the same answer.

Are you sure that you've written the question exactly as it was stated in the exam? There is no x in the equation you have posted, yet your answer makes reference to an x-coordinate?

I thought at first that you meant y= (x- a)(x- b) but that has vertex at x= (a+b)/2, not -b/2a.

However, you should be able to recognize -b/2a as the part of the quadratic formula outside the square root: The roots of [itex]ax^2+ bx+ c= 0[/itex] are
[tex]\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2- 4ac}}{2a}[/tex].

That equation will have exactly one root- that is, the vertex will lie on the x-axis if [itex]b^2- 4ac}= 0[/itex] and, in that case, the root (and so vertex) is given by x= -b/(2a). Since changing c just "moves" the graph up and down, the x-coordinate of the vertex will always be at x= -b/(2a).

The vertex of [itex]y= ax^2+ bx+ c[/itex] is at x= -b/(2a).

We area always told to express things like this (the vertex) as a coordinate pair.

[tex]\frac{-b}{2a} = X_{v}[/tex]
(ie: Only the x coordinate of the vertex)

Related to Finding the Vertex of a Parabola: A Quick Guide

1. What is the vertex of a parabola?

The vertex of a parabola is the point where the parabola reaches its maximum or minimum value. It is the highest or lowest point on the curve.

2. How do you find the vertex of a parabola?

To find the vertex of a parabola, you can use the formula x = -b/2a, where a and b are the coefficients of the quadratic equation in standard form ax^2 + bx + c. Once you have the x-coordinate of the vertex, plug it into the equation to find the y-coordinate.

3. What is the significance of the vertex in a parabola?

The vertex is significant because it gives us the maximum or minimum value of the parabola, which can be useful in solving real-world problems and analyzing data.

4. Can there be more than one vertex in a parabola?

No, there can only be one vertex in a parabola. However, there may be multiple points on the parabola that have the same y-coordinate as the vertex.

5. How do you know if the vertex is a maximum or minimum point in a parabola?

If the parabola opens upwards (a positive coefficient of x^2), the vertex will be the minimum point. If the parabola opens downwards (a negative coefficient of x^2), the vertex will be the maximum point. You can also determine this by looking at the sign of the coefficient of x^2 in the equation.