Can a Linear Transformation Satisfy One Property but Not the Other?

In summary, the two properties every linear transformation T: V -> W has to satisfy are T(u + v) = T(u) + T(v), for u,v in V (i) and T(cu) = cT(u) for u in V and scalar c (ii). It is difficult to find a transformation that satisfies (i) but not (ii), and even online examples are not easy to come by. However, assuming the axiom of choice, wild automorphisms of the complex plane can provide examples where (1) holds but (2) does not. The proof for (i) => (ii) for rational c is based on the fact that the sum of two rational numbers always yields a rational number
Gridvvk
The two properties every linear transformation T: V -> W has to satisfy is
T(u + v) = T(u) + T(v), for u,v in V (i)
T(cu) = cT(u) for u in V and scalar c (ii)

I'm trying to find a transformation which satisfies (i) but doesn't satisfy (ii) [I've been able to find the opposite for what it's worth].

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect it would be very difficult. It is fairly easy to show that (i) => (ii) as long as c is rational.

This might be overkill, but assuming the axiom of choice, the wild automorphisms of the complex plane provide examples where (1) holds but (2) does not.

mathman said:
I suspect it would be very difficult. It is fairly easy to show that (i) => (ii) as long as c is rational.

Would you mind briefly mentioning the outline for the proof (i) => (ii) for rational c? Is it simply because the sum of two rational numbers always yields a rational number.

jgens said:
This might be overkill, but assuming the axiom of choice, the wild automorphisms of the complex plane provide examples where (1) holds but (2) does not.

Yeah that is way above the level I was hoping for. I found an example where (2) holds but (1) doesn't online. The source where I found it did say he wasn't able to find one for the other way around, but he imagines it would be similar to the one for (2) holding and (1) not. Here is the example if it helps.

T: R^2 -> R
T[(x,y)] = {x if y = 0
.....{0 if y != 0

Last edited:
Gridvvk said:
Would you mind briefly mentioning the outline for the proof (i) => (ii) for rational c? Is it simply because the sum of two rational numbers always yields a rational number.

Suppose T satisfies (1). Notice that T(nv) = T(v+...+v) = T(v)+...+T(v) = nT(v) and since T(-v) = -T(v) it follows that (2) holds for all integers. Next consider nT(m/n v) = T(m/n v)+...+T(m/n v) = T(m/n v+...+m/n v) = T(mv) = mT(v) and it now follows that (2) holds for all rational numbers.

Yeah that is way above the level I was hoping for. I found an example where (2) holds but (1) doesn't online. The source where I found it did say he wasn't able to find one for the other way around, but he imagines it would be similar to the one for (2) holding and (1) not. Here is the example if it helps.

T: R^2 -> R
T[(x,y)] = {x if y = 0
.....{0 if y != 0

The difficult with finding concrete examples where (1) holds but not (2) is that the arrow needs to be pretty discontinuous. There may well be some simple example illustrating this, but all the examples I can think up that occur "in nature" so to speak are pretty wild.

Likes 1 person

1. What is a transformation?

A transformation is a mathematical operation that changes the position, orientation, or shape of an object.

2. Why do we need to find a transformation?

Finding a transformation is important in many scientific fields, as it allows us to understand and manipulate data in a meaningful way.

3. How do you find a transformation?

The process of finding a transformation involves analyzing data and using mathematical techniques to determine how to best represent or manipulate it.

4. What are some common types of transformations?

Translation, rotation, scaling, and shearing are some of the most common types of transformations used in science and mathematics.

5. How is transformation used in real-world applications?

Transformation has a wide range of applications, including image processing, data analysis, computer graphics, and robotics. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as physics, biology, and economics.