Finding an expression for linear acceleration of a hanging mass

In summary, the hanging block causes the cylinder to spin. The block's linear acceleration is determined by the mass and radius of the cylinder, R, and the tension in the rope, T.
GMc86
A rope of negligible mass is wrapped around a uniform solid cylinder, of radius R, that can rotate freely about its axis, which is horizontal and fixed. A block hangs vertically from the rope and causes the cylinder to spin. The blocks mass, M_B is 4 times the mass, M, of the cylinder. Find an expression for the magnitude of the linear acceleration of the hanging block in terms of R and/or g. (Rotational inertia of a cylinder is I=1/2*MR^2)

I know the motion of the block is Fnet=M_B*a or M_B*g - T (tension) = M_B*a
(btw I'm taking up to be negative y direction and down positive y direction)

I also know that Torque= I * alpha. and also Torque = R T(tension)sin(theta) where theta =1

so TR = 1/2*MR^2*alpha (from Torque=I*alpha)

solving for T i have T=1/2*M*R*alpha

Now if i plug this equation for Tension into F_net = M_B*a i get:

M_B*g - 1/2*M*R*alpha = M_B*a **(also i know that alpha = a/r)

solving for a; i found two answers. by computing the algebra differently for the two answers and I am not sure which is correct...if either of them even are correct.

a = g(1+(2M_B/M)) AND a = g/(1+(M/2M_B))

Any insight is appreciated! thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
After you substitute [itex]\alpha=a/R[/itex], you have:

[tex] gM_B - \frac{1}{2}Ma = M_B a [/tex]

How do you get two different solutions for a from that?

Also note, [itex]M_B=4M[/itex]

Im not sure what i was doing before...but after recalculating using your imput, i got

a=2g

is this what you calculated as well?

Rules for homework mean I can give pointers on working but not on answers.
Ergo - don't be afraid to post your working and reasoning: show me how you got that.

(It looks like you need to work on your algebra.)

its not homework, its just a practice problem. and i don't have my work with me at the moment but i figured it out. my algebra was off. thanks for your imput!

Of course I'm also too lazy ;) I once wrote in an exam: "the proof of this expression is left as an exercise for the examiner."

1. What is linear acceleration?

Linear acceleration is the rate of change of velocity in a straight line. It is a measure of how quickly an object's speed and direction are changing.

2. How does a hanging mass experience linear acceleration?

A hanging mass experiences linear acceleration due to the force of gravity acting on it. The acceleration is directly proportional to the mass and the force of gravity.

3. What is the formula for calculating linear acceleration of a hanging mass?

The formula for linear acceleration of a hanging mass is a = F/m, where a is the acceleration in m/s^2, F is the force of gravity in Newtons, and m is the mass in kilograms.

4. How can I find the force of gravity acting on a hanging mass?

The force of gravity can be calculated using the formula F = mg, where F is the force of gravity in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

5. Can the linear acceleration of a hanging mass change over time?

Yes, the linear acceleration of a hanging mass can change over time if there are external forces acting on the mass, such as air resistance or friction. However, in a vacuum with no external forces, the acceleration will remain constant.