1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding an expression for linear acceleration of a hanging mass

1. Dec 10, 2011 #1
    A rope of negligible mass is wrapped around a uniform solid cylinder, of radius R, that can rotate freely about its axis, which is horizontal and fixed. A block hangs vertically from the rope and causes the cylinder to spin. The blocks mass, M_B is 4 times the mass, M, of the cylinder. Find an expression for the magnitude of the linear acceleration of the hanging block in terms of R and/or g. (Rotational inertia of a cylinder is I=1/2*MR^2)

I know the motion of the block is Fnet=M_B*a or M_B*g - T (tension) = M_B*a
    (btw I'm taking up to be negative y direction and down positive y direction)

I also know that Torque= I * alpha. and also Torque = R T(tension)sin(theta) where theta =1

so TR = 1/2*MR^2*alpha (from Torque=I*alpha)

solving for T i have T=1/2*M*R*alpha

Now if i plug this equation for Tension into F_net = M_B*a i get:

M_B*g - 1/2*M*R*alpha = M_B*a **(also i know that alpha = a/r)

solving for a; i found two answers. by computing the algebra differently for the two answers and im not sure which is correct...if either of them even are correct.

a = g(1+(2M_B/M)) AND a = g/(1+(M/2M_B))

Any insight is appreciated! thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2011 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

After you substitute [itex]\alpha=a/R[/itex], you have:

[tex] gM_B - \frac{1}{2}Ma = M_B a [/tex]

How do you get two different solutions for a from that?

Also note, [itex]M_B=4M[/itex]

4. Dec 11, 2011 #3
    Im not sure what i was doing before...but after recalculating using your imput, i got

a=2g

is this what you calculated as well?

5. Dec 11, 2011 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Rules for homework mean I can give pointers on working but not on answers.
    Ergo - don't be afraid to post your working and reasoning: show me how you got that.

(It looks like you need to work on your algebra.)

6. Dec 13, 2011 #5
    its not homework, its just a practice problem. and i dont have my work with me at the moment but i figured it out. my algebra was off. thanks for your imput!

7. Dec 13, 2011 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Of course I'm also too lazy ;) I once wrote in an exam: "the proof of this expression is left as an exercise for the examiner."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook