Finding Angular speed and momentum

In summary, the problem involves a merry-go-round with a radius of 1.40m and mass of 125kg, and a 60.0kg student standing on the outer edge. The student then moves to a point 0.350m from the center. The initial and final angular speed of the merry-go-round and student combined are given, and the task is to find the initial angular speed of the merry-go-round, angular momentum of the system, and the final angular speed of the merry-go-round. The equations L = Iω^2 and L(initial) = L(final) can be used to solve for these values, where I is the combined moment of inertia of the merry-go-round and student.
artsim2011

Homework Statement

The problem:
A merry-go-round has a radius of 1.40m and a mass of 125kg. You may consider the merry-go-round to be a solid disk. A 60.0kg student stands on the outer edge of the merry-go-round, 1.40m from the center(the axis of rotation). It takes 3.00s for the merry-go-round and the student to make one revolution. The student then walks radially inward to a point 0.350m from the axis of rotation and stands at that point.
Find:
a. What is the initial angular speed of the merry-go-round, expressed in rad/s?
b. What is the angular momentum of the student and merry-go-round?
c. What is the final angular speed of the merry-go-round?

Homework Equations

L = I[tex]\omega[/tex]^2
L(initial) = L(final)

The Attempt at a Solution

After I used the information given I have the final and initial angular speed of the merry-go-round and the student combined. I don't know what equation I have to use to get the angular speed of just the merry go round. Finally I'm not sure how to go about using the data to get the angular momentum. The I variable has three different ones the initial and final of the student and the merry-go-round itself and the same thing goes for the angular speed do I just add the two angular speeds that I already have or is there something else I have to do. If I'm not asking specific enough questions or if I need to post more information then please let me know and thanks for any responses.

Physics news on Phys.org
artsim2011 said:
After I used the information given I have the final and initial angular speed of the merry-go-round and the student combined. I don't know what equation I have to use to get the angular speed of just the merry go round.
It is not clear what you mean by this. The angular speed of the merry-go-round is the same as the angular speed of the student at all times. Angular momentum is given by Iω where I = Imerry-go-round + Istudent. As the student moves, Istudent changes but Imerry-go-round does not.

Does this help?

Oh my god yes that helps I didn't understand they were the same I thought that they were different thank you so much.

What is angular speed?

Angular speed is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or spinning around an axis. It is usually measured in radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per minute (rpm).

How is angular speed calculated?

Angular speed is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. The formula for angular speed is: ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is angular speed, Δθ is change in angular displacement, and Δt is change in time.

What is the difference between angular speed and linear speed?

Angular speed is a measure of how fast an object is rotating, while linear speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a straight line. They are related by the formula v = ωr, where v is linear speed, ω is angular speed, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the object.

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to keep rotating around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the object's moment of inertia by its angular speed. The formula for angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular speed.

How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that it remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This is known as the principle of conservation of angular momentum. As long as there are no external torques acting on the system, the total angular momentum will remain constant.