Finding basis functions for approximating transcendental function

In summary, to approximate a transcendental function of the form f(x) = x^Ne^{x} for x \geq 0, you can use orthogonal polynomials and project the function onto these basis polynomials through an integral transform. The basis polynomials can be derived using the Gram-Schmidt process and an appropriate inner product, with a finite interval chosen for the function. The resulting approximate function will be a linear combination of the basis polynomials with corresponding coefficients.
sauravrt
I am working on a problem where I want to approximate a transcendental function of the form
[itex]f(x) = x^Ne^{x}[/itex] for [itex] x \geq 0[/itex] as a linear combination of functions of the form [itex] x^v \text{where} -1 < v < 0[/itex].
How can I find the basis functions of the desired form to represent my transcendental function as a finite linear combination?

If not, what would be approach to obtain finte approximate a transcendental function of the form above ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your f(x)=0 for x=0 (for N ≥ 0), while the basis functions you are suggesting are infinite at x=0. Your proposal doesn't make sense.

Hi mathman, I realize that error. Instead of that I would like my basis to be of the form [itex] \frac{x^v}{1 + x^2} ~\text{where} ~ 0< v < 1[/itex].

What is the general procedure to come up with a basis set?

I can't give you an off-hand answer. However your proposal has at least one problem. The functions go to zero for large x, while the functions you are trying to represent become infinite very rapidly.

Hi mathman:

I am sorry about the error in the original post. The function I am trying to approximate is [itex]f(x) = x^Ne^{-x} [/itex]. This function goes to zero for large x.

sauravrt said:
I am working on a problem where I want to approximate a transcendental function of the form
[itex]f(x) = x^Ne^{x}[/itex] for [itex] x \geq 0[/itex] as a linear combination of functions of the form [itex] x^v \text{where} -1 < v < 0[/itex].
How can I find the basis functions of the desired form to represent my transcendental function as a finite linear combination?

If not, what would be approach to obtain finte approximate a transcendental function of the form above ?

You could use orthogonal polynomials and project your function onto these basis polynomials through an integral transform.

The polynomials themselves will be determined on the basis as well as the interval for projection. If you want to project onto polynomial basis, then there are some texts out there that cover this. If however you want to project onto non-polynomial basis (like discontinuous functions or transendental functions of some sort), then you will need to accommodate for that.

What you can do to derive such polynomials is to use the Gram-Schmidt process to generate the basis functions from first principles. To do this you need to define an inner product, and this is dependent on the interval that you are dealing with.

You should be aware that you will have to use a finite interval: it won't make sense to use an infinite interval as your function is not complete in the L^2 space.

So to sum up:

1) Choose a power for your highest degree for the polynomial
2) Choose the interval that you are approximating for your function
3) Using gram-schmidt and the inner product definition for an L^2 space, generate the basis polynomials
4) Project your function to the basis polynomials to get your coeffecients
5) Write out your approximate function using a linear combination of your basis coeffecients with your basis polynomials.

What is the purpose of finding basis functions for approximating transcendental function?

The purpose of finding basis functions for approximating transcendental function is to provide a way to approximate complex and non-linear functions using a combination of simpler functions. This allows for more efficient and accurate calculations in scientific and engineering applications.

What are basis functions and how are they used in approximating transcendental functions?

Basis functions are a set of functions that can be combined to represent a more complex function. They are usually chosen to have specific properties that make them suitable for approximating transcendental functions, such as being orthogonal or having a specific shape. These basis functions are then used in a linear combination to approximate the target function.

How do you choose the appropriate basis functions for a given transcendental function?

The choice of appropriate basis functions depends on the specific properties and behavior of the transcendental function being approximated. Some common basis functions used for approximating transcendental functions include polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. The choice also depends on the desired accuracy and the computational resources available.

Can basis functions be used to approximate any transcendental function?

While basis functions can be used to approximate a wide range of transcendental functions, it is not always possible to find a set of basis functions that can accurately represent every possible function. In some cases, the approximation may require a large number of basis functions, which can be computationally expensive.

How do you evaluate the accuracy of an approximation using basis functions?

The accuracy of an approximation using basis functions can be evaluated by comparing the approximation to the actual function using a measure of error, such as the root-mean-square error or the maximum error. Additionally, the number and type of basis functions used can also affect the accuracy of the approximation.