Finding best fit distribution and its Parameters

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the best fit distribution and its parameters after normalizing histograms with the help of EnumaElish. The speaker mentions trying a lograthmic distribution, but it was not a good fit. They ask for help in determining the parameters for a poisson distribution and suggest trying a Log-Normal distribution per previous advice. They also inquire about how to plot the associated frequencies in Excel using a logarithmic axis.
shegal
Thanks to EnumaElish for helping me in Normalizing the histograms. I now want to find the best fit distribution and what will be the parameters for that distribution. I tried lograthmic but it goes in negative and also is not much fit (the new plots are attached). If I use poisson what will be the parameters. Please help me in finding the bestfit distribution and its parameters.

Attachments

• LL_DDoS_V1_Inside_Normalized.JPG
    LL_DDoS_V1_Inside_Normalized.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 533
  • LL_DDoS_v1_Outside_Normalized.JPG
    LL_DDoS_v1_Outside_Normalized.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 609
  • LL_DDoS_V2_Inside_Normalized.JPG
    LL_DDoS_V2_Inside_Normalized.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 498
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd try Log-Normal, per my previous advice.

How would you do this in excel.

Define Y = Log(X) where X is your original variable on the X-axis (apparently goes from 1 to 365 or so). Then plot the associated frequencies (of X) against Y. Excel might have a plotting option that let's you express either axis in Log form; if so, you can select that option to logarithmize the X axis.

Last edited:

1. How do you determine the best fit distribution for a set of data?

The best fit distribution for a set of data can be determined by visually examining a graph of the data and comparing it to the probability density functions of different distributions. This can also be done by performing a statistical test, such as the Kolmogorov-Smirnov test, to determine which distribution best fits the data.

2. What are the parameters of a distribution and how do you find them?

The parameters of a distribution are the values that determine the shape, location, and scale of the distribution. These parameters vary depending on the type of distribution, but commonly include mean, standard deviation, and shape parameters. They can be found by using statistical methods such as maximum likelihood estimation or the method of moments.

3. How do you know if a distribution is a good fit for your data?

A distribution can be considered a good fit for data if the distribution's parameters accurately describe the data and the distribution closely matches the data when plotted. Additionally, statistical tests can be used to determine the goodness of fit, such as the chi-square test or the Anderson-Darling test.

4. Can a distribution be modified to better fit a set of data?

Yes, distributions can be modified to better fit a set of data by using transformations such as logarithmic or power transformations. This can help to improve the fit of the distribution to the data and make it more suitable for statistical analysis.

5. Why is it important to find the best fit distribution for data?

Finding the best fit distribution for data is important because it allows for more accurate and reliable statistical analysis. It also helps to understand the underlying patterns and characteristics of the data, which can be useful in making predictions and making informed decisions based on the data.