Finding change in height of fluid in U tube from change in T

In summary: Say what you think. Does it apply here? If so, what are P(0), P(h) etc. in this context?If h is zero to start with, and the outside pressure is 1 atm, what is the starting pressure inside the gas reservoir?
JoeyBob
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
change P = (change h)*g*density
So first I converted the density from g/cm^3 to kg/cm^3 (it wants the answer in cm). This gives me a density of 0.01356 kg/cm^3.

Then I thought about the relationship of pressure and temperature. Since volume remains constant and temperature is the only variable changing, the change in pressure should be proportional to the change in temperature. A change in 56.3 degrees therefore should be a change in 56.3 pascals.

Now when I plug the numbers in, change in h=56.3/(9.8*0.01356) I get the incorrect answer of 423.67 cm. The correct answer is 21.31, which is not just off from unit conversions.

Attachments

• question.PNG
    question.PNG
    24.8 KB · Views: 85
Physics news on Phys.org
JoeyBob said:
the change in pressure should be proportional to the change in temperature. A change in 56.3 degrees therefore should be a change in 56.3 pascals.
Proportional doesn't mean numerically equal to, especially when they are of different dimension. If you were working in Fahrenheit would a change of 56.3 degrees also mean a change of 56.3Pa?
The absolute temperature is proportional to the pressure: P/T is constant.

Likes JoeyBob
haruspex said:
Proportional doesn't mean numerically equal to, especially when they are of different dimension. If you were working in Fahrenheit would a change of 56.3 degrees also mean a change of 56.3Pa?
The absolute temperature is proportional to the pressure: P/T is constant.
That makes sense. But then how would I calculate change in pressure if all I know from PV=nRT is initial temperature and final temperature?

JoeyBob said:
That makes sense. But then how would I calculate change in pressure if all I know from PV=nRT is initial temperature and final temperature?
... and initial pressure.

haruspex said:
... and initial pressure.
Where? Even if I had pressure, I still wouldn't have the moles nor volume. I just know what's constant.

JoeyBob said:
Where?
what is h initially?

haruspex said:
what is h initially?

0. But it doesn't make sense that pressure would be 0 to me. True vacuums don't exist.

JoeyBob said:
0. But it doesn't make sense that pressure would be 0 to me. True vacuums don't exist.
It doesn’t mean the pressure is zero.. unless the entire apparatus is in outer space.

haruspex said:
It doesn’t mean the pressure is zero.. unless the entire apparatus is in outer space.

Do I use the equation P(h)=P_0+density*g*h?

JoeyBob said:
Do I use the equation P(h)=P_0+density*g*h?
Say what you think. Does it apply here? If so, what are P(0), P(h) etc. in this context?

If h is zero to start with, and the outside pressure is 1 atm, what is the starting pressure inside the gas reservoir?

1. How does temperature affect the height of fluid in a U tube?

As the temperature of a fluid in a U tube changes, the height of the fluid will also change. This is because as the temperature increases, the molecules in the fluid gain more energy and move faster, causing them to take up more space and expand the fluid. This expansion results in an increase in the height of the fluid in the U tube.

2. What is the relationship between the change in temperature and the change in height of fluid in a U tube?

The change in temperature and the change in height of fluid in a U tube have a direct relationship. This means that as the temperature increases, the height of the fluid will also increase, and as the temperature decreases, the height of the fluid will decrease.

3. Can the height of fluid in a U tube be used to accurately measure changes in temperature?

Yes, the height of fluid in a U tube can be used to measure changes in temperature. This is because the change in height of the fluid is directly proportional to the change in temperature, making it a reliable and accurate method of temperature measurement.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of using a U tube to measure temperature changes?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of using a U tube to measure temperature changes include the type of fluid used, the material and size of the U tube, and external factors such as air pressure and humidity. It is important to control these variables in order to obtain accurate measurements.

5. Can the U tube method be used to measure temperature changes in all types of fluids?

No, the U tube method may not be suitable for measuring temperature changes in all types of fluids. This is because some fluids may have different expansion properties, which can affect the accuracy of the measurements. It is important to consider the properties of the fluid being used when using the U tube method for temperature measurement.