1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding charge of a uniformly charged disk

1. Nov 2, 2008 #1
    Along the axis of a uniformly charged disk, at a point 0.6 m from the center of the disk, the potential is 91.4 V and the magnitude of the electric field is 86.5 V/m; at a distance of 1.5 m, the potential is 46.8 V and the magnitude of the electric field is 27.0 V/m. Find the total charge residing on the disk.

I have both equation to finding the electric field and potential field for a uniform disk. There are two unknowns in the equation they are R and σ. Are they giving too much information?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2008 #2
    I have the two equations here how do I go about solving this. After substuiting E ,v and x for both equations I can divide the two equation by each other. Is there any easier way to do this. It is a homework problem I don't want to lose point plz reply :)
    [tex]E = 2k_e\pi\sigma(1-\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+R^2}})[/tex]
    [tex]V = 2k_e\pi\sigma\(x(\sqrt{1+\frac{R^2}{x^2}}-1)[/tex]
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?