Finding closed form for the next series:

In summary, the two expressions for the next sums are both [tex]cosh(x)= \frac{e^x+e^{-x}}{2}[/itex]and [tex]f(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac {x^{4n+1}}{4n+1}[/tex]
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
i need to find the closed form expressiosn for the next sums:
[tex]g(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac {x^{2n}}{(2n)!}[/tex]
and [tex]f(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac {x^{4n+1}}{4n+1}[/tex]
well for the second one i thought differentiating, i.e [tex]f'(x)= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^{4n}=1/(1-x^4)=\frac {1}{(1+x^2)*(1-x^2)}[/tex], now i could integrate it by parts but in my course i haven't yet got to integrals, so i cannot use integration by parts, do you have any other way to compute this sum.
for the first one, it looks like the power series of e^x, i tried to recursively get to the expression but so far to no success.
any pointers would be helpful.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first one is, in fact,
[tex]cosh(x)= \frac{e^x+ e^{-x}}{2}[/itex]

For the second one, your idea of differentiating to get a geometric series and then integrating works nicely (after you learn to integrate, of course!) using partial fractions, not "by parts". But it gives a function involving arctan and logarithms so I doubt you will find any simple way to do that.

Just in case you wanted it, the second ones

[tex]\frac{1}{4} (2\arctan x -\ln (x^2-1))[/tex] I think.

The summand for g(x) looks similar to the summand for e^x -- this suggests you might be able to express the power series for g(x) in terms of the power series for e^x.

The summand for f(x) looks similar to the summands for log(1+x) and for arctan x -- this suggests you might be able to express the power series for g(x) in terms of the power series for log(1+x) and arctan x.

after one hour i got it by myself.
but i appreciate your help.
btw, iv'e got something like this:
i need to find a power series for (1+x^2)*arctg(x).
i know the power series of arctg(x), but when I am multiplying this sum with (1+x^2), i get x+sum, i.e where the sum starts from n=1, but i can't put the x into the sum. perhaps it should be this way?

What is arctg(x)?

the same as arctan(x).
it's one of those shorcuts,like for sinh, there's sh, etc.

So are you saying arctg(x) is the same as arctan(x)? Or that its a similar pattern, its the inverse of g(x)? Because that's argcosh(x).

yes arctg(x) is the same as arctan(x), now back on topic.

Well then yes, it can be the way you stated, it doesn't matter and isn't wrong.

1. How do you find the closed form for a series?

Finding the closed form for a series involves finding an equation or formula that represents the sum of all the terms in the series. This can be done using various methods, such as pattern recognition, mathematical manipulation, or using known series formulas.

2. Why is finding the closed form for a series important?

Finding the closed form for a series can provide a better understanding of the behavior and properties of the series. It can also allow for more efficient calculation of the series and help make predictions about its future terms.

3. What are some common techniques for finding the closed form for a series?

Some common techniques for finding the closed form for a series include using geometric or arithmetic progressions, using partial sums, and using known series formulas such as the geometric series or the binomial series.

4. Can all series have a closed form?

No, not all series have a closed form. Some series may have an infinite number of terms and cannot be represented by a finite equation or formula. In these cases, other techniques, such as numerical methods, may be used to approximate the sum of the series.

5. How can finding the closed form for a series be applied in real life?

Finding the closed form for a series can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, finance, and statistics. It can be used to model and predict the behavior of natural phenomena, design efficient algorithms, and make financial projections, among other applications.