Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding closed form for the next series:

1. Mar 30, 2007 #1
    i need to find the closed form expressiosn for the next sums:
    [tex]g(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac {x^{2n}}{(2n)!}[/tex]
    and [tex]f(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac {x^{4n+1}}{4n+1}[/tex]
    well for the second one i thought differentiating, i.e [tex]f'(x)= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^{4n}=1/(1-x^4)=\frac {1}{(1+x^2)*(1-x^2)}[/tex], now i could integrate it by parts but in my course i havent yet got to integrals, so i cannot use integration by parts, do you have any other way to compute this sum.
    for the first one, it looks like the power series of e^x, i tried to recursively get to the expression but so far to no success.
    any pointers would be helpful.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The first one is, in fact,
    [tex]cosh(x)= \frac{e^x+ e^{-x}}{2}[/itex]

For the second one, your idea of differentiating to get a geometric series and then integrating works nicely (after you learn to integrate, of course!) using partial fractions, not "by parts". But it gives a function involving arctan and logarithms so I doubt you will find any simple way to do that.

4. Mar 30, 2007 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Just in case you wanted it, the second ones

[tex]\frac{1}{4} (2\arctan x -\ln (x^2-1))[/tex] I think.

5. Mar 30, 2007 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The summand for g(x) looks similar to the summand for e^x -- this suggests you might be able to express the power series for g(x) in terms of the power series for e^x.

The summand for f(x) looks similar to the summands for log(1+x) and for arctan x -- this suggests you might be able to express the power series for g(x) in terms of the power series for log(1+x) and arctan x.

6. Mar 31, 2007 #5
    after one hour i got it by myself.
    but i appreciate your help.
    btw, iv'e got something like this:
    i need to find a power series for (1+x^2)*arctg(x).
    i know the power series of arctg(x), but when im multiplying this sum with (1+x^2), i get x+sum, i.e where the sum starts from n=1, but i cant put the x into the sum. perhaps it should be this way?

7. Mar 31, 2007 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

What is arctg(x)????

8. Mar 31, 2007 #7
    the same as arctan(x).
    it's one of those shorcuts,like for sinh, there's sh, etc.

9. Mar 31, 2007 #8

Gib Z

Homework Helper

So are you saying arctg(x) is the same as arctan(x)? Or that its a similar pattern, its the inverse of g(x)? Because thats argcosh(x).

10. Mar 31, 2007 #9
    yes arctg(x) is the same as arctan(x), now back on topic.

11. Mar 31, 2007 #10

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Well then yes, it can be the way you stated, it doesn't matter and isnt wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?