Finding constant in a function

In summary, the problem asks for the values of the constant a that make the function f(x) = ax/tan x continuous for all real numbers. The limit from the left as x approaches 0 is a^2 - 2, while the limit from the right is 0/0, which can be evaluated using L'Hopital's rule or a power series expansion. The final answer is a=2 or a=-1, but it should be noted that the function is not continuous at any multiple of 2π except 0.
alex1261
Determine all values of the constant a such that the following function is continuous for all real numbers.

f(x) = ax/tan x, if x≥ 0
a^2 -2, if x<0

I've tried to plug in zero but the tan x throws me off because plugging in zero will give me a 0/0. Other than that I am stuck on what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
So the limit from the left as you approach zero is clearly a2 - 2.
For the limit from the right, you get 0/0, which is an indeterminate form. Therefore, you can use for example L'Hopitals rule to try and find the limit.

Hi can you explain the L'Hopitals rule? I'm sorry I'm just starting Calculus and my teacher assigned this problem and we have yet to learn it. Thanks.

To avoid L'Hopital's rule, note that:
[tex]
\tan x=x+\frac{x^{3}}{3}+\cdots
[/tex]
so:
[tex]
\frac{ax}{\tan x}=\frac{a}{1+x^{2}/3+\cdots}
[/tex]
Then the limit as x tends to zero is equal to a, so from here, can you answer the rest of the question?

Mat

Yes! Thank you for you help!

I would be very surprized if a class had covered power series expansions of functions but not L'Hopital's rule!

If you can't do L'Hopital's rule or power series, how can you evaluate the limit? I suppose that if you were shown that:
[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin x}{x}=1
[/tex]
by some other method, and you know about the algrebra of limits, then you could evaluate by brute force I suppose.

Mat

You're not going to find a constant that makes this continuous for all real numbers. The cotangent function is discontinuous at an infinite number of points, and multiplying it by x won't solve that problem.

I think he means continuous at the point x=0...

hunt_mat said:
If you can't do L'Hopital's rule or power series, how can you evaluate the limit? I suppose that if you were shown that:
[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin x}{x}=1
[/tex]
Mat
That was my thought.
[tex]\frac{ax}{tan(x)}= a\frac{x}{sin(x)}cos(x)[/tex]
Since both cos(x) and x/sin(x) go to 1 as x goes to 0, this has limit "a". [itex]a^2- 2[/itex] is a constant so to have this function continuous at x= 0, we must have [itex]a^2- 2= a[/itex] which is equivalent to [itex]a^2- a- 2= (a- 2)(a+ 1)= 0[/itex]. That has the two roots a= 2 and a= -1.

However, I note that the original post specifically said "continuous for all real numbers" and, as Char. Limit said, no matter what a is, the function is not continuous for x any multiple of [itex]2\pi[/itex] except 0.

Incorrect posting perhaps?

1. What is a constant in a function?

A constant in a function is a fixed value that does not change as the input variable changes. It is often represented by the letter "c" and appears in the general form of a function as f(x) = mx + c. The constant determines the y-intercept of the function.

2. How do you find the constant in a linear function?

In a linear function, the constant is represented by the y-intercept, which is the point where the line crosses the y-axis. To find the constant, you can look at the graph of the function and identify the y-intercept, or you can use the formula f(x) = mx + c and substitute in a given point (x, y) on the line to solve for c.

3. Can the constant in a function be negative?

Yes, the constant in a function can be negative. This means that the function crosses the y-axis below the origin (0,0) on the graph. The value of the constant will determine how far below the origin the function crosses the y-axis.

4. Why is the constant important in a function?

The constant in a function is important because it helps define the behavior and characteristics of the function. It determines the starting point of the function on the y-axis and can affect the shape and direction of the graph. In some cases, the constant may also represent a physical quantity or fixed cost in real-world applications.

5. How does the constant affect the slope of a function?

The constant does not affect the slope of a function. The slope is determined by the coefficient of the input variable in the function's general form, while the constant determines the y-intercept. However, if the constant is zero, the function will have a slope of 0 and will be a horizontal line. If the constant is non-zero, the function will have a non-zero slope and will be a slanted line on the graph.