Finding Covariant and Contravariant components of Cylin Coor

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the covariant and contravariant components of the cylindrical and spherical coordinate systems. The basis vectors and metric components are evaluated, and the gradient is used to find the dual basis. The equations for the basis vectors in both coordinate systems are provided, and the correctness of the components is confirmed. Suggestions are given to use proper notation and to refer to a resource for typing equations.
thusidie
I'm going through Introduction_to_Tensor_Calculus by Wiskundige_Ingenieurstechnieken.

I want to find the covariant and contravariant components of the cylindrical cooridnates.

Ingerniurstechnieken sets tangent vectors as basis (E1, E2, E3). He also sets the normal vectors as another basis (E1, E2, E3)

The coorindates relationships are:

x=r*cosθ
y=r*sinθ
z=z

r=sqrt(x2+y2)
θ=arctan(y/x)
z=z

I'm setting R= vector r

R=[r*cosθ, r*sinθ, 1]

I found:

E1 = [cosθ, sinθ, 0]
E2 = [-r*sinθ, r*cosθ, 0]
E3 = [0, 0, 1]

He says to take gradient of r, θ, and z for normal basis (E1, E2, E3). What do I take the gradient of to get this basis?

Is it ∇r=(1, 0, 0)
∇θ=(0, 1, 0)
∇z=(0, 0, 1)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculations of the basis vectors are correct. Now the most simple way to get the dual basis is to evaluate the metric components
$$g_{jk}=\vec{E}_j \vec{E}_k.$$
The nonvanishing components are
$$g_{11}=\vec{E}_1 \cdot \vec{E}_1=1, \quad g_{22}=\vec{E}_2 \cdot \vec{E}_2=r^2, \quad g_{33}=\vec{E}_3 \cdot \vec{E}_3.$$
It's more conveniently summarized in writing the length of an arbitrary line element,
$$\mathrm{d} s^2=\mathrm{d} r^2 + r^2 \mathrm{d} \theta^2 + \mathrm{d} z^2.$$
You should make a little drawing and understand this line element geometrically.

To evaluate the dual basis, you need the contravariant metric components. They are defined by the inverse of the matrix of the covariant metric components. Here it's very easy since this matrix is diagonal. You get for the non-zero components
$$g^{11}=\frac{1}{g_{11}}=1, \quad g^{22}=\frac{1}{g_{22}}=\frac{1}{r^2}, \quad g^{33}=\frac{1}{g_{33}}=1.$$
Thus the cobasis is
$$\vec{E}^j=\vec{E}_i g^{ij},$$
i.e.,
$$\vec{E}^1=\vec{E}_1, \quad \vec{E}^2=\frac{1}{r^2} \vec{E}_2, \quad \vec{E}^3=\vec{E}_3.$$
It's easy to check that indeed
$$\vec{E}^j \cdot \vec{E}_k=\delta_{k}^{j}$$
as it must be.

Obviously you have a misconception concerning the gradient. For an arbitrary scalar field ##\Phi## it's defined as
$$\vec{\nabla} \Phi =\vec{E}^j \partial_j \Phi.$$
You should also note that here we deal with the holonomes basis and cobasis of cylinder coordinates.

Usually for orthogonal curvilinear coordinates one rather uses local orthornormal (Cartesian) basis. You can easily calculate everything by the definitions
$$\vec{e}_j=\frac{1}{\sqrt{g_{jj}}} \vec{E}_j.$$
If you understand German, you find everything in my lecture notes,

https://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/matherg1.pdf

Likes thusidie and dextercioby
How do you type equations? It looks much better than what I'm writing.

Thank you. That helps a lot.

Using your formulation, I found the two basis:

E1=[cosθ, sinθ, 0]
E2=[-r*sinθ, r*cosθ, 0]
E3=[0, 0, 1]

E1=[cosθ, sinθ, 0]
E2=[-sinθ/r, cosθ/r, 0]
E3=[0, 0, 1]

I would like to find A components.

Writing out R=AmEm and R=AnEn.

I got Am=An= [r, 0, z]
Is this right?

I did the same for spherical coordinates.

E1=[cosθ*sin∅, sinθ*sin∅, cos∅]
E2=[-r*sinθ*sin∅, r*cosθ*sin∅, 0]
E3=[r*cosθ*cos∅, r*sinθ*cos∅, -r*sin∅]

E1=[cosθ*sin∅, sinθ*sin∅, cos∅]
E2=[-sinθ/(r*sin∅), cosθ/(r*sin∅), 0]
E3=[cosθ*cos∅/r, sinθ*cos∅/r, -sin∅/r]

Finding Am=An=[r, 0, 0]

I hope the A's are correct. I do get the x, y, z components when they are paired with their basis.

Likes vanhees71
thusidie said:
How do you type equations? It looks much better than what I'm writing.
https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Your components look fine. However, I strongly suggest you get rid of the [...] notation in anything but Cartesian coordinates.

Also, φ is the Greek letter, ∅ is the empty set symbol. :rolleyes:

Likes thusidie

1. What are covariant and contravariant components of cylindrical coordinates?

Covariant and contravariant components are two different ways of representing the same vector in different coordinate systems. In cylindrical coordinates, covariant components represent the vector's magnitude and direction with respect to the radial, azimuthal, and vertical axes. Contravariant components represent the vector's magnitude and direction with respect to the x, y, and z axes.

2. How do I find the covariant and contravariant components of a vector in cylindrical coordinates?

To find the covariant and contravariant components of a vector in cylindrical coordinates, you can use the following formulas:

Covariant components:
Vr = Vxcosθ + Vysinθ
Vθ = -Vxsinθ + Vycosθ
Vz = Vz

Contravariant components:
Vx = Vrcosθ - Vθsinθ
Vy = Vrsinθ + Vθcosθ
Vz = Vz

3. What are the benefits of using covariant and contravariant components in cylindrical coordinates?

Using covariant and contravariant components allows for easier calculation and manipulation of vectors in different coordinate systems. It also helps to maintain consistency in equations and simplifies the process of converting between coordinate systems.

4. Can I use covariant and contravariant components in other coordinate systems besides cylindrical coordinates?

Yes, covariant and contravariant components can be used in any coordinate system. They are commonly used in curvilinear coordinate systems, such as cylindrical and spherical coordinates, but can also be used in Cartesian coordinates.

5. How do I know if I should use covariant or contravariant components for a specific problem in cylindrical coordinates?

The choice between using covariant or contravariant components depends on the specific problem at hand. In general, covariant components are useful for calculations involving derivatives and integrals, while contravariant components are useful for calculations involving dot and cross products. It is important to understand the properties and uses of both types of components and choose the appropriate one for the problem you are trying to solve.