Finding current using current dividers

• Thread starter DODGEVIPER13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
The current will be 1.333Sin(t) in both the 3 and 6 ohm resistor. Which would make it 2/3rds and 1/3rd, but you didn't have the 2/3rds.
DODGEVIPER13

Homework Statement

find i3?

Homework Equations

i1=i(R3/(R3+R6))
i2=i(R6/(R3+R6))
R(parallel)=R6(R3)/(R6+R3)
v=iR

The Attempt at a Solution

i=V/R4=(12sin(t))/(4 ohm)= 3sin(t) A then using R parallel I get 2 ohms as the resistor then again using v=iR. I get 1.333sin(t) A. Did I do this wrong or would this be acceptable

Attachments

• Muhahaha.jpg
    Muhahaha.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 397
Physics news on Phys.org
I tried this way using v=iR4 finding i=3sin(t) A. Then using the equation to find i1 I get i1=sin(t) A and using the equation to find i2=2sin(t). i3=i1+i2 so I get i3= 3sin(t) A which is incorrect. By the way i1 is the current on the leg with the 6 ohm resistor and i2 is the current on the leg with the 3 ohm resistor.

Ugg no answers did I make it confusing again I always do that bad grammar and what not anyways please help!

i=V/R4=(12sin(t))/(4 ohm)= 3sin(t)

Perhaps it's me but I don't follow that at all.

I did it this way...

Let the source current be Is and the source voltage Vs =12 Sin(t)

Then

Is = Vs/(4 + 6//3)
Is = Vs/6......(1)

By inspection 2/3rds of Is goes through the 3 Ohm and 1/3rd through the 6 Ohm resistor (they must sum to 3/3rds Is due to KCL)

so

I3 = 2/3 * Is

Using eqn 1...

I3 = 2/3 * Vs/6
I3 = Vs/9

Then substitute Vs with 12Sin(t)

I3 = 12/9 Sin(t)
I3 = 1.333 Sin(t) Amps

Oh yah well would this work as well what I did is combine the 6 ohm and 3 ohm resistor into a parallel and got 2 ohms. I then put it in series with the 4 ohm resisor and get 6 ohms. then using v=ir i get i=2sin(t) A then using my formula for i2= 2sin(t)(6/9)=(4/3)sin(t) A which is correct. My question is what I did correct as well?

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Oh yah well would this work as well what I did is combine the 6 ohm and 3 ohm resistor into a parallel and got 2 ohms. I then put it in series with the 4 ohm resisor and get 6 ohms. then using v=ir i get i=2sin(t) A then using my formula for i2= 2sin(t)(6/9)=(4/3)sin(t) A which is correct. My question is what I did correct as well?

You have it right now. But your first post wasn't correct.
i=V/R4=(12sin(t))/(4 ohm)= 3sin(t)
There isn't a current of 3 anywhere.

What is the purpose of using current dividers?

Current dividers are used to divide the total current flowing through a circuit into smaller currents that can be directed to different components. This allows for more precise control and distribution of the current to meet the specific needs of each component.

How do current dividers work?

Current dividers work by using resistors in parallel to divide the current flowing through a circuit. The resistors have different values, which results in different amounts of current flowing through each one. The total current is divided in proportion to the resistance values of the individual resistors.

What factors affect the current division in a circuit?

The current division in a circuit is affected by the values of the resistors used, as well as the total current flowing through the circuit. The position of the resistors in the circuit also plays a role, as resistors closer to the power source will receive more current than those further away.

What is the formula for calculating current division in a circuit?

The formula for calculating current division in a circuit is In = (Rtotal / Rn) * Itotal, where In is the current flowing through a specific resistor, Rn is the resistance of that resistor, Rtotal is the total resistance of the circuit, and Itotal is the total current flowing through the circuit.

What are some practical applications of current dividers?

Current dividers have many practical applications, such as in voltage regulation, current limiting, and signal attenuation. They can also be used in electronic devices to ensure that each component receives the appropriate amount of current to function properly. Current dividers are also commonly used in power distribution systems to distribute electricity to different areas or buildings.