1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding current using current dividers

1. Feb 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find i3?

2. Relevant equations
    i1=i(R3/(R3+R6))
    i2=i(R6/(R3+R6))
    R(parallel)=R6(R3)/(R6+R3)
    v=iR

3. The attempt at a solution
    i=V/R4=(12sin(t))/(4 ohm)= 3sin(t) A then using R parallel I get 2 ohms as the resistor then again using v=iR. I get 1.333sin(t) A. Did I do this wrong or would this be acceptable

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2013 #2
    I tried this way using v=iR4 finding i=3sin(t) A. Then using the equation to find i1 I get i1=sin(t) A and using the equation to find i2=2sin(t). i3=i1+i2 so I get i3= 3sin(t) A which is incorrect. By the way i1 is the current on the leg with the 6 ohm resistor and i2 is the current on the leg with the 3 ohm resistor.

4. Feb 1, 2013 #3
    Ugg no answers did I make it confusing again I always do that bad grammar and what not anyways please help!

5. Feb 3, 2013 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps it's me but I don't follow that at all.

I did it this way...

Let the source current be Is and the source voltage Vs =12 Sin(t)

Then

Is = Vs/(4 + 6//3)
    Is = Vs/6................................(1)

By inspection 2/3rds of Is goes through the 3 Ohm and 1/3rd through the 6 Ohm resistor (they must sum to 3/3rds Is due to KCL)

so

I3 = 2/3 * Is

Using eqn 1...

I3 = 2/3 * Vs/6
    I3 = Vs/9

Then substitute Vs with 12Sin(t)

I3 = 12/9 Sin(t)
    I3 = 1.333 Sin(t) Amps

6. Feb 3, 2013 #5
    Oh yah well would this work as well what I did is combine the 6 ohm and 3 ohm resistor into a parallel and got 2 ohms. I then put it in series with the 4 ohm resisor and get 6 ohms. then using v=ir i get i=2sin(t) A then using my formula for i2= 2sin(t)(6/9)=(4/3)sin(t) A which is correct. My question is what I did correct as well?

7. Feb 4, 2013 #6

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

You have it right now. But your first post wasn't correct.
    There isn't a current of 3 anywhere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook