Finding DFA: Hint to Construct NFA for ((0∪1)*10* ∪ 0)

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dfa
In summary, the conversation discusses constructing a DFA that recognizes the language $((0 \cup 1)^{\ast} 1 0^{\ast}) \cup 0$. Several difficulties are encountered in converting an NFA to a DFA, and the group discusses various steps and strategies to accomplish this task. They also consider the possibility of merging some states to simplify the DFA.
evinda said:
Why is it like that? (Thinking)

It's an arbitrary choice of the procedure.
It includes all empty transitions after each state.
Instead we just started with the start state after which we included all empty transitions before and after each state. (Nerd)

tl;dr it does not matter. (Wink)

Physics news on Phys.org
I like Serena said:
It's an arbitrary choice of the procedure.
It includes all empty transitions after each state.
Instead we just started with the start state after which we included all empty transitions before and after each state. (Nerd)

tl;dr it does not matter. (Wink)

So it includes all the states we can reach after any $\epsilon$-transition? Or only the states we can reach after the $\epsilon$-transitions that are immediately reached from the starting state? (Thinking)

evinda said:
So it includes all the states we can reach after any $\epsilon$-transition? Or only the states we can reach after the $\epsilon$-transitions that are immediately reached from the starting state? (Thinking)

The $E$ function includes all states we can reach after any $\epsilon$-transition.
For consistency, no exception is made for the starting state. (Emo)

I like Serena said:
The $E$ function includes all states we can reach after any $\epsilon$-transition.

Which function do you mean with the "$E$ function" ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Which function do you mean with the "$E$ function" ? (Thinking)

The one that your notes refer to as:

Formally, for $R \subseteq Q$ let
\[E(R)=\{q \mid q\text{ can be reached from R by traveling along $0$ or more $\varepsilon$ arrows} \}.\]
(Thinking)

I like Serena said:
The one that your notes refer to as:

Formally, for $R \subseteq Q$ let
\[E(R)=\{q \mid q\text{ can be reached from R by traveling along $0$ or more $\varepsilon$ arrows} \}.\]
(Thinking)

Yes, I see.. I had understood it wrong and I thought that you meant that the starting state should contain all the states that could be reached after any $\epsilon$-transition... but the new starting state contains the starting state of the nfa and any states that can be reached after having read $\epsilon$ exactly after the starting state. Right?

evinda said:
Yes, I see.. I had understood it wrong and I thought that you meant that the starting state should contain all the states that could be reached after any $\epsilon$-transition... but the new starting state contains the starting state of the nfa and any states that can be reached after having read $\epsilon$ exactly after the starting state. Right?

Yep! (Nod)

Still, that is any state that could be reached after any $\epsilon$-transition... without actually reading an input symbol. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
Yep! (Nod)

Still, that is any state that could be reached after any $\epsilon$-transition... without actually reading an input symbol. (Nerd)

I see... Thank you! (Smile)

How can we justify in a few words that the dfa indeed recognizes the language $((0 \cup 1)^{\star}10^{\star}) \cup 0$? (Thinking)