Exploring Language Recognition and DFA Creation

In summary: No, the language is not of the form: $(0^{\ast} 1^+ 0^{+}1)^{\ast}$.3. No, the machine does not accept an arbitrary number of consecutive $0$'s.4. Yes, the machine accepts an arbitrary number of consecutive $0$'s.5. It depends on the definition of a DFA that you have. Does it allow that? (Wondering)
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

The following DFA is given:

View attachment 5685

I want to find the language that it recognizes. The alphabet is $\Sigma=\{0,1\}$.

Isn't the language this one: $(0^{\ast} 1^{+} 0^{\ast} )^{+}$?

Also I want to draw a dfa that recognizes the following languages and that have the referred number of states. The alphabet is still $\{0,1\}$.

• $\{0\}$, with two states
  • $1^{\ast} (001^+)^{\ast}$, with 3 states
  • $\{ \epsilon \}$ , with 1 state
  • $0^{\ast}$ with 1 state

But can it be that $1$ goes nowhere? :eek:

But then the word $1$ isn't accepted... :( What could we change?

Can it be that 0 and 1 go nowhere? (Worried)

Again $1$ goes nowhere... Is that possible?

Attachments

• dfa.png
    dfa.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 76
  • zero.png
    zero.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 63
  • d2.png
    d2.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 68
  • d3.png
    d3.png
    697 bytes · Views: 69
  • d4.png
    d4.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 65
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey evinda! (Wave)

evinda said:
Isn't the language this one: $(0^{\ast} 1^{+} 0^{\ast} )^{+}$?

Does the DFA allow a $0$ at the end? (Wondering)

Also I want to draw a dfa that recognizes the following languages and that have the referred number of states. The alphabet is still $\{0,1\}$.

• $\{0\}$, with two states
But can it be that $1$ goes nowhere? :eek:

It depends on the definition of a DFA that you have. Does it allow that? (Wondering)
As far as I'm concerned, it should be fine if $1$ doesn't go anywhere - it keeps the DFA simple and straight forward.
But if we want $1$ to go somewhere as well, we can introduce a new state that we call sink and define a transition for $1$ to it. Since it's not a final state, the machine can be "stuck" there and not accept the word.

Btw, shouldn't there be an arrow identifying the start state?

• $1^{\ast} (001^+)^{\ast}$, with 3 states
But then the word $1$ isn't accepted... What could we change?

You didn't identify the start state yet. :eek:
How about making $q_3$ the start state?

Btw, doesn't your machine accept an arbitrary number of consecutive $0$'s? Should it? (Wondering)

• $\{ \epsilon \}$ , with 1 state
Can it be that 0 and 1 go nowhere?

• $0^{\ast}$ with 1 state
Again $1$ goes nowhere... Is that possible?

Same thing, if necessary we can introduce a sink state.

I like Serena said:
Does the DFA allow a $0$ at the end? (Wondering)

No, it doesn't... (Shake) So should the language be of the following form?

$(0^{\ast} 1^+ 0^{+}1)^{\ast}$
I like Serena said:
It depends on the definition of a DFA that you have. Does it allow that? (Wondering)

View attachment 5690

View attachment 5691
I like Serena said:
As far as I'm concerned, it should be fine if $1$ doesn't go anywhere - it keeps the DFA simple and straight forward.
But if we want $1$ to go somewhere as well, we can introduce a new state that we call sink and define a transition for $1$ to it. Since it's not a final state, the machine can be "stuck" there and not accept the word.

Btw, shouldn't there be an arrow identifying the start state?

So you mean that the DFA could be drawn as follows?

View attachment 5692

I like Serena said:
Btw, doesn't your machine accept an arbitrary number of consecutive $0$'s? Should it? (Wondering)

It does... But, it shouldn't... (Worried)

I like Serena said:
You didn't identify the start state yet. :eek:
How about making $q_3$ the start state?
View attachment 5693

But now we have again consecutive 0s ... What could we do to change that? (Thinking)

Attachments

• fin.JPG
    fin.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 68
  • dett.JPG
    dett.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 65
  • fr2.png
    fr2.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 59
  • fr4.png
    fr4.png
    3 KB · Views: 63
evinda said:
No, it doesn't... (Shake) So should the language be of the following form?

$(0^{\ast} 1^+ 0^{+}1)^{\ast}$
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/5685

How about the word $1$? Does the DFA accept it? And your expression? (Wondering)Let's go through this state by state.
In state q1 we can accept $0^*$ followed by $1$ to q2 followed by $1\ast$ after which we can stop.
That is: $0^* 1 1^* = 0^* 1^+$.

After that, we can go back to q1 with $0$, followed by $0^*$, followed again by $1 1^*$ after which we can stop.
So: $0^* 1 1^* 0 0^* 1 1^* = 0^* 1^+ 0^+ 1^+$.

And we can keep going to get: $0^* 1^+ 0^+ 1^+ 0^+ 1^+ 0^+ 1^+ ...$.

So we can have:
$$
0^* 1^+ \\
0^* 1^+ 0^+ 1^+ \\
0^* 1^+ 0^+ 1^+ 0^+ 1^+ 0^+ 1^+ ...
$$
Hmm, how can we abbreviate that? (Wondering)
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/5690
View attachment 5691

The fact that $\delta$ is a function of $Q\times \Sigma$ implies that every state should have outgoing arrows for each input symbol.
However, with the number of supposed states that is given for each problem, there is no room for a sink. (Nerd)

Btw, it specifies that the start state should be $q_0$, but that's not the case in your DFA's. :eek:
So you mean that the DFA could be drawn as follows?

I was thinking more of:
View attachment 5694
However, the problem statement says you should have 2 states, so I don't think you're supposed to include a sink.
It does... But, it shouldn't... (Worried)

But now we have again consecutive 0s ... What could we do to change that? (Thinking)

Let's start with introducing new states where needed.
We should get the following DFA:
View attachment 5696
Agreed? (Wondering)

However, we should have 3 states instead of 4.
Fortunately states $q_0$ and $q_3$ look the same.
Could we leave out $q_3$ and redirect its arrows to $q_0$? (Wondering)

Attachments

• DFA_with_sink.png
    DFA_with_sink.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 65
  • DFA_1ast_001plusast.png
    DFA_1ast_001plusast.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 59
1. It would be better to devote its own thread to every question. Discussing five automata in one thread is confusing.

2. I believe you are using the Sipser's book "Introduction To The Theory Of Computation". There the transition function of a DFA returns a state and is total, i.e., every state must have an outgoing arrow for every symbol. This is in contrast to NFAs, where the transition function returns a set (possibly empty) of states. I believe it is not possible to construct a DFA with one state accepting $\{\varepsilon\}$ or $0^*$,but it is possible to construct such NFAs.

3. It would be helpful of you specify exercise numbers if exercises are taken from the Sipser's book.

I like Serena said:
How about the word $1$? Does the DFA accept it? And your expression? (Wondering)Let's go through this state by state.
In state q1 we can accept $0^*$ followed by $1$ to q2 followed by $1\ast$ after which we can stop.
That is: $0^* 1 1^* = 0^* 1^+$.

After that, we can go back to q1 with $0$, followed by $0^*$, followed again by $1 1^*$ after which we can stop.
So: $0^* 1 1^* 0 0^* 1 1^* = 0^* 1^+ 0^+ 1^+$.

And we can keep going to get: $0^* 1^+ 0^+ 1^+ 0^+ 1^+ 0^+ 1^+ ...$.

So we can have:
$$
0^* 1^+ \\
0^* 1^+ 0^+ 1^+ \\
0^* 1^+ 0^+ 1^+ 0^+ 1^+ 0^+ 1^+ ...
$$
Hmm, how can we abbreviate that? (Wondering)

So the language is this one: $0^{\ast} 1^+ (0^+ 1^+)^{\ast}$, right?
I like Serena said:
The fact that $\delta$ is a function of $Q\times \Sigma$ implies that every state should have outgoing arrows for each input symbol.
However, with the number of supposed states that is given for each problem, there is no room for a sink. (Nerd)

(Nod)
I like Serena said:
Let's start with introducing new states where needed.
We should get the following DFA:

Agreed? (Wondering)

However, we should have 3 states instead of 4.
Fortunately states $q_0$ and $q_3$ look the same.
Could we leave out $q_3$ and redirect its arrows to $q_0$? (Wondering)

Yes... (Nod) Ah, I see... Then the DFA will be the following, right?

View attachment 5697

Does this often happen that we draw a dfa with one more state than the desired number and that the final state is equal to the initial one?

- - - Updated - - -

Evgeny.Makarov said:
1. It would be better to devote its own thread to every question. Discussing five automata in one thread is confusing.

2. I believe you are using the Sipser's book "Introduction To The Theory Of Computation". There the transition function of a DFA returns a state and is total, i.e., every state must have an outgoing arrow for every symbol. This is in contrast to NFAs, where the transition function returns a set (possibly empty) of states. I believe it is not possible to construct a DFA with one state accepting $\{\varepsilon\}$ or $0^*$,but it is possible to construct such NFAs.

3. It would be helpful of you specify exercise numbers if exercises are taken from the Sipser's book.

I found these exercises from some notes of computability theory, but the most of them are from the Sipser's book. Next time I will specify the exercise numbers.

So these exercises are examples of situations where NFAs are needed, right?

Attachments

• f5.png
    f5.png
    3 KB · Views: 56
evinda said:
So these exercises are examples of situations where NFAs are needed, right?
Why don't you look at the exact statement of the problem? But the only DFAs with one state in the language $\{0,1\}$ are the ones accepting $\emptyset$ and $\{0,1\}^*$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Why don't you look at the exact statement of the problem?

At the book that I have I found the statement I have written above.

According to the online version I have, the statement is the following:

View attachment 5698

So the latter should be the right problem statement.

So are the above automata the right NFAs?

- - - Updated - - -

Evgeny.Makarov said:
But the only DFAs with one state in the language $\{0,1\}$ are the ones accepting $\emptyset$ and $\{0,1\}^*$.

Do we have the DFA that accepts only the $\emptyset$ if $q_0$ is a non-accepting state and the DFA that accepts $\{0,1\}^*$ otherwise?

Attachments

• fre.JPG
    fre.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 58
Evgeny.Makarov said:

I've always been a bit confused about these definitions.
The FA's we have here are all deterministic, even though not all input symbols have a state transition.
Still, we can consider every missing symbol to have an implicit transition to an extra sink state.
That's very different from a non-deterministic FA that would typically have multiple state transitions for the same symbol.
So what's the big deal that a DFA is supposed to have a transition for every symbol?

evinda said:
So the language is this one: $0^{\ast} 1^+ (0^+ 1^+)^{\ast}$, right?

Yes. We can even further abbreviate it to $(0^*1^+)^+$. (Nod)
Yes... (Nod) Ah, I see... Then the DFA will be the following, right?

Does this often happen that we draw a dfa with one more state than the desired number and that the final state is equal to the initial one?

Yes. We will have to do whatever is required for the problem statement.
Usually there is no real need to reduce the number of states though - it's just an optimization that happens to look more pleasing to the eye and is less work to draw. (Wink)

evinda said:
So are the above automata the right NFAs?
Sorry, as I said, this thread contains many automata for various problems, both correct and incorrect. I am reluctant to go over the whole thread and give my opinion for each of them. Either summarize the latest information or start a new thread for each problem.

evinda said:
Do we have the DFA that accepts only the $\emptyset$ if $q_0$ is a non-accepting state and the DFA that accepts $\{0,1\}^*$ otherwise?
Yes.

I like Serena said:
I've always been a bit confused about these definitions.
The FA's we have here are all deterministic, even though not all input symbols have a state transition.
Still, we can consider every missing symbol to have an implicit transition to an extra sink state.
That's very different from a non-deterministic FA that would typically have multiple state transitions for the same symbol.
So what's the big deal that a DFA is supposed to have a transition for every symbol?
I agree, whether the transition function is total or not does not change the concept of the automaton significantly: it's still essentially a DFA. In contrast, if the function returns sets of states instead of individual states, this is a very different concept: an NFA. I am just saying that any questions and confusion is unnecessary if we stay within the realm of the book. Instead of defining the transition function of DFA as $\delta:Q\to Q\cup\{\emptyset\}$ and considering special cases in definitions and proofs, the author chose to consider the output $\emptyset$ only in NFAs, which makes the treatment uniform. Each problem clearly states whether it requires a DFA or an NFA. Then why complicate the situation and wonder if problem statements should be changed?

Thanks for your answers! (Smirk)

Related to Exploring Language Recognition and DFA Creation

1. What is language recognition and why is it important in computer science?

Language recognition is the ability of a computer to understand and interpret human language, typically through the use of algorithms and computational techniques. It is important in computer science because it allows computers to process and respond to human language, making communication and interaction between humans and computers more natural and efficient.

2. What is a DFA and how is it used in language recognition?

DFA stands for Deterministic Finite Automaton, which is a mathematical model used to recognize patterns in a string of characters. In language recognition, DFAs are used to analyze and classify words or phrases based on specific rules and patterns, making it easier for computers to understand and respond to human language.

3. How are DFAs created for different languages?

DFAs are created through a process known as DFA construction. This involves identifying the specific rules and patterns of a language and translating them into a DFA, typically using a set of states, transitions, and accepting states. The DFA is then tested and refined to ensure accurate language recognition.

4. Can DFAs be used for both spoken and written languages?

Yes, DFAs can be used for both spoken and written languages. While some languages may have different rules and patterns in their spoken and written forms, the basic principles of language recognition and DFA creation can be applied to both forms of language.

5. How do advancements in technology impact language recognition and DFA creation?

Advancements in technology, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, have greatly improved language recognition and DFA creation. These technologies allow for more accurate and efficient language processing, as well as the ability to adapt and learn from new language patterns and rules.