What is the distance between the ship and the submarine using a laser?

• Thread starter johnsy123
  • Start date
In summary, a laser positioned on a ship is used to communicate with a small two-man research submarine on the bottom of a lake. The laser is 12 m above the water and strikes the water 20 m from the ship. The water is 76 m deep with an index of refraction of 1.33. The question is asking for the horizontal distance between the submarine and the ship. The conversation discusses using the mirror equation and Snell's Law to calculate the refracted angle of the light ray in the water and the overall distance of the submarine from the ship. The importance of correctly identifying the angles in the problem is also emphasized.
johnsy123
p27_5.jpg

In the figure, a laser positioned on a ship is used to communicate with a small two-man research submarine resting on the bottom of a lake. The laser is positioned 12 m above the surface of the water, and it strikes the water 20 m from the side of the ship. The water is 76 m deep and has an index of refraction of 1.33. How far horizontally is the submarine from the side of the ship?

-I am not sure weather to use the mirror equation or not. I have tired to figure out the angle the laser makes with the vertical and then combined that into a big triangle with height of 88 to find the horizontal distance but that didn't seem to get the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens to a light ray entering water (or almost any transparent medium, for that matter)?

It bends.

i also attempted using snells law to find the refracted angle...

Right. You should be able to work out the angle of incidence, and Snell's Law gives you the angle of the ray in the water. Add the refracted ray to the diagram, and you should be able to see how to calculate the distance.

Remember to be careful about which angle Snell's Law needs.

Yes i did that and i still didn't get the correct answer.

Show exactly what you did.

As Doc Al says, show your working. We're guessing what you did, and we could be here all day.

I will make one more guess, though. You said you made one big triangle, but there are two non-congruent triangles - ship-to-surface and surface-to-sub. Are you treating them separately?

1. What is the concept of finding distance of object?

The concept of finding distance of object is a fundamental principle in science that involves determining the physical distance between an observer and an object. It is usually measured in units such as meters, kilometers, or miles.

2. How is the distance of an object typically measured?

The distance of an object can be measured using various techniques, including trigonometry, parallax, and triangulation. In some cases, specialized tools such as rangefinders or laser distance meters may also be used.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of distance measurements?

The accuracy of distance measurements can be affected by several factors, including the precision of the measuring instrument, atmospheric conditions (such as fog or haze), and human error. It is important to take these factors into account when conducting distance measurements.

4. How is the distance of an object related to its size?

The distance of an object is not directly related to its size. In other words, an object's size does not determine its distance from an observer. However, the apparent size of an object may change depending on its distance from the observer, as determined by the laws of perspective.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding distance of object?

Finding distance of object has numerous real-life applications, including navigation, surveying, astronomy, and engineering. It is also used in fields such as archaeology, biology, and geology to measure the distance between objects or features of interest.